Dress code outside of work? Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress code outside of work? Florida

Hi there. I work for a saddlery company based in Florida and we have a mobile unit that travels to NY, VT, PA, and KY six months that out of the year. My employer has 'received a complaint' from a customer about what I wear outside of work. I'm female and I generally wear shorts and a t-shirt when I'm off and I have a tattoo on my thigh, which could possibly be the reason for the 'complaint'. Is it legal for her to enforce a dress code for me when I'm not working? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Azkie; 08-31-2016, 02:26 PM. Reason: A word.

There isn't a law that says she can't, so she can.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If you are travelling for work and representing your employer, they can dictate how to conduct yourself even off the clock.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
        There isn't a law that says she can't, so she can.
        This is exactly the right answer, and it too simple an answer for many people to believe it.

- Under "employment at will", all terminations are legal until/unless someone passes a specific law saying that it is not legal.
        - As far as anyone on this website knows (apparently) there is no specific law protecting off duty apparel choices. Or tatoos. Hair style. Sport team preferences. I can legally fire someone for being a Cubs fan, because there is no law saying that I cannot. Employees have been legally fired for putting political signs on their yards, some thing I am still surprised is legal. There are plenty of voting rights laws but none of them apparently effect employment.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
          I can legally fire someone for being a Cubs fan, because there is no law saying that I cannot.
          Being a St. Louis Cardinals fan, it wouldn't upset me!
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I worked at a big accounting firm. One of the managers talked to an employee who was mowing his lawn without a shirt. It didn't fit the "image" the accounting firm wanted to portray.
            As mentioned, its not illegal.
            I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The only way the employer could get into a bind doing this would be if an male employee was allowed to wear pretty much the same thing without negative employer action.

Comment

True although there are some gender based latitude in dress codes. Say suits and tie for men and dresses for women. A lot of odd ball cases which makes for strange law, like the Hooters cases. To quote Mr. Bumble "The law, sir, is an a**".
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
                X