This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon schedule question Oregon

When my employer asked me to come back i told them i could only work 11-6 mon-fri due to several things in my home life. It's never been a problem and occasionally i habe cancelled my saturday appts to work. My husband had several appts saturdays for physical therapy counseling etc. They never asked why i needed this schedule just said ok. I worked my butt off and am now a manager. I don't have child care for weekends as my hubby is my only. This last Saturday i had a dentist appt she said im required to work, it was not a scheduled day being nice i said ok but i have to leave at 1 appt is 30 minutes later barely gives me enough time. I couldn't leave until she showed up 20 minutes late. Now they have changed my schedule to me working saturday fot this next week, i had to reschedule my dentist to this saturday because of last week. Oregon had a set schedule law saying they cannot change it without notice or something. So if i call in on Saturday due to my tooth can they legally fire me considering i have a more then 2hr notice? And can they change my schedule with out notice?

Oregon had a set schedule law saying they cannot change it without notice or something.

No, it doesn't. Oregon used to have a law that said if you reported to work, you had to be paid for at least one half of your scheduled shift even if you were sent home early. But that law was rescinded in 1990 (a similar law remains in effect for minors under the age of 18) but even before that law was rescinded, it did not prohibit changes to the schedule with or without notice. No state has or has had a law to that effect.

So if i call in on Saturday due to my tooth can they legally fire me considering i have a more then 2hr notice?
    Yes. They can schedule you for any time they need you and it's up to you to arrange your affairs to be there. They are not legally restricted to what you tell them is your availability - if they do so or have done so it is a courtesy and not required by law. There is no legal meaning to 2 hours notice.

And can they change my schedule with out notice?
    Yes. No Federal law and no law in any state restricts an employer's right to change the schedule whenever business needs permit.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X