This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written two week notice rights? New Mexico

I have been told that if you give a written two-week notice in New Mexico that the employer has to pay you for the two weeks even if he tells you to go ahead and leave immediately.

Is this true?

I have not been able to locate any such law online.

I don't believe there is such a law in New Mexico. I have come across numerous people from the 49 other states who are utterly convinced such a law exists in their states, and they have been incorrect every time. So the chances of the people who told you that such a law does exist in New Mexico are very high that they are wrong.

Comment

I did some more digging and it looks like you are correct.

So, sports fans: if you resign, wait and do it on pay day and don't give notice unless you think it will hurt your ability to use that organization as a reference later. I was in a position years ago where I gave notice and was told to leave immediately. I needed the money from those two weeks to get me through to the new job. I ended up with a two-week unpaid vacation sitting at home with no money!

Comment

SOME employees in New Hampshire need to have their notice paid for in SOME situations. Anywhere else in the country, no.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Note that not all employers will terminate right away or decline to pay the notice period. Quitting without notice is a great way to burn bridges.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            Note that not all employers will terminate right away or decline to pay the notice period. Quitting without notice is a great way to burn bridges.

I agree to a point. That's why I suggested a person not quit suddenly if it might cause you to not be able to use that organization as a reference.

I have had two situations now over the years (I'm over 50 now) where my new employer specified a time for me to report to work that did not allow me to give a full two-week's notice to the previous employer, and in both cases the old employer understood.

I've also worked for organizations that didn't care one way or another what notice you give because their policy is to only tell future employers the dates you worked and what your salary was without divulging any work history information.

Each person has to judge their situation and act accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X