This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended without pay week after incident. Colorado

Background: I am a delivery driver (residential) and have worked with the company for ten years...eight of which were as a supervisor... I stepped down a year ago to cut back hours.

On last Monday morning I hit a personal vehicle while on the job...it was a flat black vehicle on a curve that was roughly 2 feet off the curb line...keep in mind this is in the dead of night. This was my first offense. I was /am aware of proper protocal so I called the police and my supervisor. The officer ran my license and after seeing the overall situation let me go WITHOUT A TICKET. I was told by my supervisor I was facing a three day suspension without pay...news to me. As a supervisor for the same company I have dealt with numerous vehicles accidents and not one did we suspend anyone...at times we told them they were but that was due to a positive drug test...which in this case mine was negative. So I was allowed to return to work the next day (and finished the shift in question as well) and finish the next three days of work to complete the work week... I was informed I would be suspended sometime this upcoming week because "they are short staffed so it will on their terms". It will be a full calendar week or more and this isn't normally done... I know... I dealt with it. Can they do that? I know Colorado is a at-will state and either party can end the relationship at anytime. I have misplaced my employee handbook but will obtain a new one this evening...as far as I know there is nothing mentioned concerning such a suspension.

• Betty3
    replied
    Yep, it's within their rights. Sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

Leave a comment:

• KarsgeldianTerror
    replied
    Okie dokie... I was most concerned with the idea of allowing a certain amount of time to pass before the suspension...but if it's within their rights as an employer then that's that.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Yes, they can do that unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Yes, they can do that. Even if it's not in the handbook.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X