This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Benefits Reimbursement California

I filed a workers' compensation claim in California which was denied by my employer over two years ago. Because I was not eligible for temporary disability benefits, I actively looked for work and received unemployment benefits which ran out in July. I just received a check from State Fund for $53,000 for temporary disability for the period I received unemployment benefits. I believe that the unemployment benefits must be reimbursed. I did a little research, and I am left with more questions. I gather that I would have been ineligible for temporary disability benefits for the period I was receiving unemployment benefits and the entire amount must be returned. The disability benefits exceed the unemployment benefits I received by $18,000. Should I return the check or should I reimburse the Employment Development Department for the amount I received from them? My attorney is on vacation for three weeks and I am not sure what to do. I would appreciate any information. The check was written to me, without any liens from the Employment Development Department. I did not file for disability at all and this check was completely unexpected. I do not feel comfortable holding onto this check until my attorney returns from vacation.

Thank you.

Why don't you call & ask them what you should do/need to do?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Hi Betty3,

I just received the check late this afternoon; too late to call anyone, and wanted to get information as I have read conflicting information. My attorney directed me to communicate with him regarding this claim and he will not be available for three weeks.

Thank you for your response.

Comment

If you don't want to wait for your attorney's return, why not give them a call today unless you have already done so.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X