X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restructuring

Good afternoon,

This is my first post, and I thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I have been working for a non-profit since February of this year, doing administrative work for the legal and procurement department. My supervisor is a first time supervisor in this company since January when there was restructuring going on. I was hired despite not having a legal background over other candidates (both internal and external) that did. I am a generalist with an administrative background, have a great work performance history with excellent previous supervisor references.

I have an employment letter, with a job scope attached.

There has been very little support provided by the supervisor who has a closed door policy, with no face to face unless absolutely necessary. She is unpleasant when approached, as she does not like to be bothered. I have managed to find answers pertaining to work from any source I had available and have received no complaints from any others regarding the quality of my work and getting many compliments about my fast turn around time and eye for detail.

I was not prepared for the response I had during the evaluation in October as I honestly thought I had been doing well independently. I was told I sent too many e-mails (I did the calculation, it equated to two a day over a 4 week period that she had taken into account and this was in replacement of any face to face) and sending her documents for review/approval, thus not being independent enough. I would have complied if I had known of any expectations BEFORE the evaluation itself. I was told to use the supervisor as a last recourse when looking for answers. However, I received kudos for my work in procurement which was supervised by her supervisor (it is complicated as my supervisor was not even trained in procurement but ended up having to oversee it, - so her supervisor ended up having a bigger role supervising me in procurement with my supervisor overseeing just the legal side).

The organization will be restructuring yet again in the coming months, after just having a major change last January.

I have been informed unofficially that my major functions, both legal and procurement may be split up to other departments, that they will add a few more responsibilities and call it a new job in one (not sure about the other department as that is still up in the air) and since I do not possess a degree in the relevant field, I would not have the skills set required and thus the job would be advertised out. I was told it would be wise to start looking around.

A former colleague saw his job advertised (with two extra responsibilities) even when he was in his last few months there.

A couple questions I have:

1) Do I have any recourse?
    2) Could they have advertised out for someone's job (with 2 responsibilities and a new title) even when the employee was still with the company?

I don't have much hope but just wanting some confirmation.

I really appreciate your time and help with this.

1.) Based on what you have posted, no. There is nothing to suggest that your employer is doing anything illegal in restructuring your job.

2.) Yes, they could. I don't know if they would, but there is nothing illegal about it. Maybe not good form. Not a violation of law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree/concur with cbg. Sorry, I know the information given wasn't what you wanted to hear but don't see anything illegal based on what you posted.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Speaking from experience, yes they can do this and yes it is legal. Even if it sucks. Take their advice and start looking.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X