This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Flu Shots Arizona

Does anyone know or can you direct me any info on employer forcing staff to get a flu shot? Everything that I can find is really old. I know a few states had some lawsuits filed but I can't seem to find the outcomes. The person asking me works in a healthcare facility. Thanks for the help.

Re the 2013-2014 flu season - The Center for Disease Control (CDC) published literature indicate that influenza vaccination of health care personnel can enhance patient safety. However, CDC does not issue any requirements or mandates for state agencies, health systems, or health care workers regarding infection control practices, including influenza vaccination.

To find out more about the laws in your state, contact your state health department. (all states do not have the same requirements.....)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yep

My company (a large hospital) is calling for mandatory flu vaccinations. You can decline, but if you work in a clinical area you will be required to wear a surgical mask while at work. Every employee, intern, student and volunteer must get the shot or sign a declination. They are dead serious about this.

Comment

It does seem most health care facilities do require them or either a mask. (unless there is a medical or religious reason not to get one) However, the CDC does indicate to contact your state health dept. for more information re requirements in your state.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would research the EEOC's view on it vs religious/ADA accommodations. There is an opinion letter (not law)at http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/foia/letter...mmodation.html that gives some advice but you have to weight that against bonafide occupational qualifications that can sometimes override discrimation issues.

Here is one article I found: http://laborsphere.com/firing-employ...ospitals-face/

It truly can be a can of worms and I would consult with an attorney familiary with state and federal laws in the healthcare marketplace before making any policy mandatory.

Comment

Different employers/states handle differently. I agree that a lawyer would be a good idea - the CDC notes to check with your state health dept. A lawyer in your state may have a good idea of the best way to go & also know what your state's health department's law/opinion or other state law says (if there is one) plus know if there were any court cases re this situation in your state.

Comment

Working...
            X