X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair Treatment New York

Hi,
    I started working at a pizza place in Hamilton NY. My boss was ok at the beginning and now has just become plain rude. I find it very unfair the way he treats me compared to the other employees that work there. He rips things out of my hands, and makes me feel belittled and not satisfactory for the job requirements. I have tried to just bite my tongue and let it go because it's a job. He is kind and respectful towards other employees but when it comes down to me he is not nice. It is not fair, I have had a family friend come in an has seen him scream at me over nothing while I am doing my job. We are allowed free slices during the shift, and during my shift I grab a slice and I might take two bites out of it and continue my work until were not busy. Many times he has thrown my food out and would yell at me and tell me to get back to work. If anyone else eats he doesn't say anything to them and it really hurts my feelings. I don't even like to get up and go there anymore because of his lack to treat all employees with respect. Today he got really upset before the lunch rush because I ate 2 bites of my slice. I then looked for my slice after and it was no where to be found. I then knew he threw it out into the trash. What actions can I take to make him understand how I feel and what he is doing to my emotion state of mind.

If you have evidence that he is treating you this way because of things like your race, gender, religion, age (only if you're over 40), and/or disability, then he is breaking the law and you have legal recourse to force him to treat you better.

If he is treating you this way for some reason other than those listed above, then you have no legal recourse, i.e., you cannot legally force him to treat you better.

Comment

It's only illegal to treat you differently/discriminate against you for a reason prohibited by law (examples religion, race, gender.....).

Why do you think your boss treats you this way? It's not illegal for your boss to be a "jerk."

You might want to consider looking for other employment.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Are you sure you are understanding the free slices during work policy? No employer wants an employee to take a few bites here and there and leave half eaten pizza around. Back in the day when I worked fast food (probably way before you were born), if we wanted to eat, we could NOT do so behind the counter or near where any food was prepped. And it was only on our break. Plus you should be washing your hands after eating and prior to serving customers. I could see where this is annoying him. Or he thinks you are only eating a few bites and wasting food that then gets thrown away. I would stop eating free bites for a while and see if it affects his attitude towards you.

Comment

Could it be you haven't worked much or this is your first job? Maybe you don't understand what is allowed at work & what is not, such as what hr for me noted re the eating of pizza during work.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

One way to handle this would be to schedule a time to speak with him, preferably before or after a shift when things aren't busy. During the meeting, acknowledge that you have noticed some tension and ask if there is anything you can do to improve your working relationship. Don't start accusing him or comparing your behavior to others. If he sees that you are taking the job seriously and trying to improve, that will likely go a long way toward repairing whatever damage has been done. Sometimes, personalities just clash. Surely you have met those who you just don't care for or get along with. Ideally in a professional setting, the manager would set aside those personal feelings and focus on what it takes to get the job done. Not every manager is adept at doing this and that is going to be especially true in industries like food service where you have a lot of lower skilled and untrained managers.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by hr for me View Post
              Are you sure you are understanding the free slices during work policy? No employer wants an employee to take a few bites here and there and leave half eaten pizza around. Back in the day when I worked fast food (probably way before you were born), if we wanted to eat, we could NOT do so behind the counter or near where any food was prepped. And it was only on our break. Plus you should be washing your hands after eating and prior to serving customers. I could see where this is annoying him. Or he thinks you are only eating a few bites and wasting food that then gets thrown away. I would stop eating free bites for a while and see if it affects his attitude towards you.
              Well i would always take a slice around lunch time, i would go to the back table away from the counter and were allowed to leave it there and come back to finish it. he is very unorganized, rude, and not nice. i never wasted a slice at all. always washed my hands and my station and used hand sanitizer. i would never eat during a rush or if we got busy. we were allowed as many free slices as we wanted bc at night they would throw away about 2 pizzas. it was sad to that. i did end up quitting and found a temp. job and now am seeking other employment else where.

Comment

Since you believe you were being treated unfairly, quitting probably was your best option. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                X