This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they take money without consent?

Can a union take money out of my check even if I never signed any papers giving them consent to do so. The company I work for is not a union company but we do federal housing jobs and I guess there has to be a few union guys on the job, not real sure. The union has been getting me for about $15/hr for roughly 900 hours of time worked, yet I have no union card, and to be honest no one from the union has ever contacted me other than sending me letters saying they are calling my employer to have me terminated for not paying my dues. Since no one from the union has contacted me (which my employer told me they would contact me) I have no clue where I would pay these dues or how much they are. At this point I just want to know if I have a legal leg to stand on as far as getting the money back. Do the math its a decent chunk of change. I feel like I'm getting the shaft and to be honest I don't enjoy it.

Illinois is not a right to work state, which means that you CAN be required to join a union in order to work.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X