This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hours notice of mandatory meeting given while on vacation Nebraska

I am a direct care worker at a rural mental health care facility for youth, full time and paid by the hour. My employer texted me 48 hours advance notice of a 2-hour mandatory meeting. Problem is, I'm on a much needed one-week vacation. Do I have a legal leg to stand on if I do not attend? Any responses appreciated.

Absent a written contract to the contrary, your employer may legally fire you for not attending this meeting.

(I feel your pain though - I haven't had a single vacation in 20 years that hasn't been interrupted/cancelled by my employers. It sucks.)

Comment

Bummer but agree legal unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by eerelations View Post
        Absent a written contract to the contrary, your employer may legally fire you for not attending this meeting.

(I feel your pain though - I haven't had a single vacation in 20 years that hasn't been interrupted/cancelled by my employers. It sucks.)
        Hmm. Disappointing, but not shocking. Guess we'll find out if they'll exercise that legal right because I'm not going to participate. Fortunately I have other employment options.

I'm sorry for you! I don't even want to imagine 20 years of not having the peace of mind of knowing you can enjoy well-planned, well-deserved, uninterrupted time off! Never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Thanks Betty3!

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          Bummer but agree legal unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.
          Appreciate your two cents!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Duck View Post
            I'm sorry for you! I don't even want to imagine 20 years of not having the peace of mind of knowing you can enjoy well-planned, well-deserved, uninterrupted time off! Never heard of such a thing.
            This is typical for HR folk.

I don't mind having to talk business on the phone/via email every day while I'm on vacation, it's the being called-back-to-work-from-the-airport-when-I'm-just-about-to board-the-plane thing that's annoying.
            Last edited by eerelations; 01-08-2013, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Just an idea - if you're out of town, can you conference call or Skype in to the meeting?
              I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I don't mind having to talk business on the phone/via email every day while I'm on vacation, it's the being called-back-to-work-from-the-airport-when-I'm-just-about-to board-the-plane thing that's annoying.
                I haven't done that yet but I have worked from more than one hospital bed...
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                  I haven't done that yet but I have worked from more than one hospital bed...
                  I know an HR guy whose boss tried to reach him while he was in surgery. (Her rationale - it was local anaesthetic not general so while he couldn't walk he could certainly talk on the phone.) The nurses wouldn't put her through and ever since then she goes around saying "Well, don't go to that hospital, the nurses there are really rude!"

Comment

I think the boss had it mixed up as to who the "rude" one was.
                    Last edited by Betty3; 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I worked with someone who had to check voice mail and return phone calls during his beloved ski vacations while the chair lift was going up the mountain. He'd then ski down to the bottom and start the whole process again.
                      I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

My sister and I took our family on a Disney vacation a couple of years ago. While in line for rides she (VP of Operations) was emailing her subordinates with her approval of union contracts at various sites (different state had different union). So she would settle one, go on the ride and then move to another line and settle another.

Comment

When I was a professional, paid an Art Director's salary, this was common for me. I did 90-120 hour work weeks. The kind of thing many are describing in this thread are, I'm assuming, professional obligations. (Are you paid a salary?) More than once I had to leave vacation to direct and verify various production processes of some 11th-hour project in another part of the country. That's to be expected of a professional because it is the professional lifestyle. But when I left the professional lifestyle and entered skilled labor, (again, I am paid by the hour) I became protected by a number of labor laws not afforded to professionals.

I was hoping labor law afforded me some protection with this issue. I do suspect that is not the case, that my employer may only be obligated to pay me unused vacation at of end of employment.

Btw, after discussing issue at length with my wife, informed her of feedback I got here--thanks again--we decided best option for us was that I attend said meeting, which I did.
                          Last edited by Mr. Duck; 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, in no state and under no law are any employees (regardless of status) guaranteed uninterrupted vacation time. Or vacation time at all.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                              Unfortunately, in no state and under no law are any employees (regardless of status) guaranteed uninterrupted vacation time. Or vacation time at all.
                              Okay, thanks for clearing that up. It is unfortunate, but not completely illogical I suppose. Once accrued, vacation time becomes a benefit according to Nebraska labor law. But the bottom line, my employer doesn't have to actually give it to me in the form of paid time off, let alone uninterrupted paid time. (While they do have to pay it in monetary form upon termination of employment, but that is not the issue here.)

Comment

Working...
                              X