Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing break/lunch time waiver as condition of hiring..... Washington state

new to this site and this is my first posting....

Is it legal in WA state for a barista stand company (espresso drive thru) to require employees to sign "waiver" which states they will not take lunch/dinner break if work 8 hours or more per shift?...the employees also do not get any breaks other than brief time to use the rest room....Thanks!

• DAW
    replied
    Not my state, but what I cited seems to be WA state's official position on the subject. At least what opinion they feel like sharing. You can contact WA directly and see if they agree with you or not. It is common for the state to not force employers to hire a second person on shift for the sole purpose of providing lunch/break relief.

Leave a comment:

• artisangoodsbygayle
    replied
    Signing break/lunch time waiver as condition of hiring...WA state

Originally posted by DAW View Post
    Read the following webpage in it's entirity but I cited one part.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRight...Breaks/Breaks/
    Thanks,DAW....not quite what I meant....when a new employee is hired by a Barista company to work in an espresso drive-thru stand,they are asked to read and then sign a document which states they are agreeing to waive their lunch or dinner 30 min. break if they work at least an 8 hour shift...if they don't agree,then they are not hired....thought perhaps this was illegal in the state of WA...I used to work for the company in question in the office and saw the signed documents...they are only paid for shifts worked which do not include any breaks...not even 10 min. breaks....I understand why when only one barista is on shift,but my feeling is that 2 women should be scheduled which would allow each to take turns having a break....thanks,gayle

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Read the following webpage in it's entirity but I cited one part.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRight...Breaks/Breaks/

Can a worker choose to give up his or her meal period? Workers may give up their meal period if they prefer to work through it and if the employer agrees.
    Business owners please note: The Department of Labor & Industries recommends that you get a written statement from workers who want give up their meal periods.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X