DLSE appeal "de novo" in Superior, adding a matter back in? California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLSE appeal "de novo" in Superior, adding a matter back in? California

I will be heading to Superior Court trial "de novo" appealing a DLSE decision.

BTW, in hindsight....on less cut and dry cases, I would NEVER recommend anyone trusting in the DLSE in resolving wage claim issue's. I have come to understand that Labor Officers are not bound by following rules of law and can make decisions without even researching labor code. Really kicking myself in the butt here.

I have not yet made decisions about representation because the other sides attorney called me and said that he had reviewed the case and wants to meet to talk about settling before going to court. He then mentioned that if I lose I will have to pay all the defendants legal fee's, which can be tens of thousands of dollars.

I really feel my case is strong, but after the DLSE fiasco - I definitely have a black eye and am not so confident in anything. Here is the deal, which I should find out about before I do or agree anything..... At the DLSE hearing - I dropped the most clear cut matter which would have certainly been in my favor (which was for un-reimbursed business expenses). It was only for a few hundred dollars... and I did that, in case I WOULD have to appeal, because I have read that even if I win the $430 in expenses that ANY win in my favor would mean I would not have to pay their fee's.

Is that true?

I am forever grateful for this board!

I have not yet made decisions about representation because the other sides attorney called me and said that he had reviewed the case and wants to meet to talk about settling before going to court. He then mentioned that if I lose I will have to pay all the defendants legal fee's, which can be tens of thousands of dollars.

I would not advise meeting with the other side's attorney without your own legal representation. This attorney is representing HIS client's best interests - not yours. You will be a lamb sitting down with a jaguar.

Comment

Agree, do not "trust" the other side's attorney - the attorney is working for the other party. You do need your own representation/someone looking out for your interests.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X