Trying to find out the truth about my position, Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find out the truth about my position, Illinois

Almost five years ago I started work at a big community college in Illinois. First I was a student employee, then professional and about 2 years ago I was promoted to a supervisory position (evening supervisor) and I have been fulfilling these functions and duties ever since.
    I recently discovered that my position was never changed to supervisor in HR. By accident I found out a letter from HR that had been hidden from me that alarmed of the situation.
    There are factors that indicate that paperwork has never been submitted to HR about my supervisory position. All circumstances indicate that I have been purposely mislead.
    I informed my manager. The case got to HR but they still have no position on my case (it has been more than 2 weeks). So far I did not been given any reasonable explanation about the situation.
    What can I do to protect my rights in this situation?

Nothing. They can classify you as the janitor if they wish to, even if you're the Dean of the School of Law. This is entirely an internal policy matter and it's out of your hands. It's up to your manager to straighten out your records with HR. (I'm also wondering if your manager didn't have the necessary authorization from his boss and/or HR to promote you to a supervisory position in the first place. Even if that's the case, there's nothing you can do about it - that's on your boss.)

Comment

Agreed, but I am curious. Exactly what "rights" do you think are being infringed? Generally all being classified a supervisor (FLSA "executive" Exempt exception) accomplished is that you get to work a whole lot of unpaid overtime. There is no governmental rules that supervisors have to be paid more/better then non-supervisors. There are some retail "managers" who legally get paid much less then minimum wage. I have had supervisors that I deliberaely did not get classified as supervisors because (with the loss of paid overtime) it would have reduced their pay.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.
        I have been doing the job for 2 years. I have been representing myself as evening supervisor, bearing the responsibilities of such. The whole situation disappointed me a lot. I decided to look for another job. I am a registered CPA and the fact that putting "evening supervisor" in my resume and not knowing if this is really true will hurt my credibility. I wonder if it is right to be delibaretly mislead and lied to for two years.

Comment

Originally posted by eviuser View Post
          I wonder if it is right to be delibaretly mislead and lied to for two years.
          Is it right? No.

Is it illegal? Vary rarely.

Comment

So do not say what the title was, say what you did. There are a lot of goofy job titles out there.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
            X