X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toria
    started a topic Holiday Pay discrimination Michigan

Holiday Pay discrimination Michigan

I am a supervisor at a manufacturing plant and receive an annual salary (I am not hourly) - however, if I work an extra day above and beyond my shift (3-12 hour shifts one week, 4-12 hour shifts the next), I do receive time and a half pay for that shift.

Our company runs a 24/7, 365 operation. Our hourly works are paid time and a half for holidays they must work - and "management" receives the day off. Supervisors (only 4 of us), do not receive holiday pay, time and a half or the day off. Is there any labor law or discrimination law that we can cite?

• ElleMD
    replied
    That may be but it is not a state law, just the practice of your employer. It is also legal.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    The spammer who posted between Beth and eerelations was, in fact a spammer, despite his, her or its or claims to the contrary. I thought the post asking if there were laws protecting against discrimination for spammers was really cute. Bye bye, spammer. I checked your IP address at the door. Ohio my foot. Not unless Ohio is currently on vacation in the Pacific Rim.

Leave a comment:

• eerelations
    replied
    Originally posted by blendwithme
    Here in Ohio, most of the employees are receiving an extra pay during holiday work. Except SUPERVISORS and Management, they don't have any extra even on extra work hours.
    And your point is...?

Leave a comment:

• Beth3
    replied
    While I think it would behoove your employer to do something for the exempt supervisors who work a holiday (a bonus, a gift card to a nice restaurant, etc.), they aren't required to. Your employer simply is not required to give you any additional compensation because you work on a holiday or when you come in on an unscheduled work day for a meeting.

Leave a comment:

• Toria
    replied
    So did you read the post where it was 3 or 4 times a month - and no, no one is complaining - and no, this company is not generous - they pay their employees and managers far below competitive wages, most supervisors and hourly employees leave the company due to this and other issues. I have worked for some of the best companies in the nation and had to transfer back to MI for parents health. I have not seen these types of issues in 25 years with employees. Do not presume to think we are not grateful for employment, this is not the case - you do not know the situation at this plant.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    I have never heard of a company paying a stipend for a supervisor to attend a meeting. Again, you are already getting a very generous deal that is far beyond what is required and VERY rare indeed. You are being paid to get the job done, not by the hour or day. That is the way it works. Complain about generousity at your own peril. Especially if this only affects a few days a year. One of the requirements of your job is that in additon to working 3 days a week, a couple times a year you have to come in an extra day for a meeting. For all this you get paid a salary.

Leave a comment:

• Toria
    replied
    I do not expect to receive holiday pay for a holiday do not work - my question is - why are only 4 people in the company treated differently? Hourly workers who work a holiday are given time and a half. Management does not come in on holidays - they get a paid day off. Shift supervisors only receive "straight" pay. So why the difference? We must report 1/2 hour early, and stay 1/2 hour over - not a problem - always considered it part of being in "management", and yes, attending meetings either before or after work - I still consider part of my management duties - however I have earned my days off - to ask me to come in, without pay or travel expenses, in most companies warrants a stipend.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    You can move on if you like but chances are your next employer will be even less generous and stick to what the law requires.

Leave a comment:

• Beth3
    replied
    You'll have to decide whether having a 3 day/4 day schedule is worth the inconvenience of having to occasionally go to a meeting on an unscheduled work day.

As Elle commented, as an exempt employee, your employer's only legal obligation is to pay you your regular fixed weekly salary regardless of the number of hours you work. If your employer is paying you OT under certain circumstances, then they're doing far more than the law requires. I don't think there are many employers who offer comp time to their exempt employees.

Why would you expect holiday pay for a day you aren't scheduled to work? If your paycheck is whole for the week and you aren't scheduled to work on a particular holiday, then there's no reason to give you holiday pay.

Leave a comment:

• Toria
    replied
    Thanks for the information! You actually answered another of my questions - as noted, I work 3-12 hour shifts one week and 4-12 hour shifts the next, my boss demands I come in on my days off for meetings. This happens twice a month, sometimes 3 times a month. They do not offer comp time either. Husband tells me to move on!

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Nope, totally legal. If you are a supervisor properly classified as exempt that means your employer never has to pay you anything beyond your regular salary. Even if you work holidays or "extra" time during the week. That is what being exempt means. If they opt to pay you for extra days worked, they are being extremely generous and doing more than legally required.

In your state and industry, holidays are just regular days. Your company is also never required to pay extra for those days, grant them off, or do anything special. Even the number of holidays is totally up to the company if they choose to offer these at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X