Access to voluntary work details. Louisiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to voluntary work details. Louisiana

I live in Louisiana and the entity I work for has classified me as an exempt employee. I have worked for this entity for several years and ever since that time exempt employees have been eligible to work off-hour voluntary work details which are paid by other departments of the entity at a fixed rate. Recently a new policy has been enacted which restricts all such off-hour work details to non-exempt employees unless the off-hour work detail in question is classified as mandatory or is unable to be filled by any non-exempt employee. Is there any legal avenue available which would allow me to protest this policy?

Thanks.

If your employer wants to restrict the work to non-exempt employees only, they can. (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If you are asking whether there is any law that says you must be allowed to work additional work details, there is not.

You are free to protest the policy if you choose, but there isn't any law you can invoke that will force your employer to rescind it.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed with the other answers. Past that, there are some poential complications. Exempt status is determine by looking at ALL work done by the employee. There is a chance that these extra work assignments could fry the Exempt status. Past that, if the employee is legall under federal law both Exempt and subject to the Salaried Basis, then legally the employer could make the employee do the extra work assignements AND not pay them anything for it. An Exempt employee's salary is supposed to cover everything, not just the so-called normal work duties.

It sounds like the employer knows just enough to be nervous.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X