louisiana law- late pay? Louisiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• louisiana law- late pay? Louisiana

i live in louisiana and work for a small business. i have been paid late 6 times now. it is june and i have only worked there since february. the company is financially secure- a known idiot happens to do payroll...
    the first time- my hours were short. so i took the check- and did not receive the owed amount until the next pay period-wth?
    every other time he has shorted me hours. this is not on purpose- he's just an idiot...
    now i void all mistakes... and wait... this last time was way too long. payday is friday- and i did not get my corrected check until wednesday.
    what can i do?
    i am looking for another job- this is just not something i am willing to accept again.
    do i have any recourse?
    the other times my check was late were not a hardship- this time it was.
    is there any louisiana law that will help me?

thanks in advance.

eta:
    this last check i wrote in the signature line- "patrick does not need to do payroll". i figure if they are stupid enough to ask or have an attitude it will be one heck of a conversation. i can work for free at home!
    Last edited by mugndoli; 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM.

Be careful what you wish for...

Originally posted by mugndoli View Post
    i live in louisiana and work for a small business. i have been paid late 6 times now. it is june and i have only worked there since february. the company is financially secure- a known idiot happens to do payroll...
    the first time- my hours were short. so i took the check- and did not receive the owed amount until the next pay period-wth?
    every other time he has shorted me hours. this is not on purpose- he's just an idiot...
    now i void all mistakes... and wait... this last time was way too long. payday is friday- and i did not get my corrected check until wednesday.
    what can i do?
    i am looking for another job- this is just not something i am willing to accept again.
    do i have any recourse?
    the other times my check was late were not a hardship- this time it was.
    is there any louisiana law that will help me?

thanks in advance.

eta:
    this last check i wrote in the signature line- "patrick does not need to do payroll". i figure if they are stupid enough to ask or have an attitude it will be one heck of a conversation. i can work for free at home!
    Don't know if this will help much but this what I found on the subject

Frequency of Wage Payments

An employer in one of the following four industries: oil and gas, mining, manufacturers,
    and public service corporations, must pay employees no less frequently than twice per
    month on regularly scheduled paydays. If an employer in any of these industries fails to
    designate paydays, it must pay employees on the 1st and 16th of the month. Employers in the oil and gas, mining, and manufacturing industries must pay employees, except clerical and sales staff, within 10 days of the end of the pay period. Public service corporations must pay their employees within 15 days of the end of the pay period. Louisiana Stat.
    HYPERLINK "http://law.justia.com/louisiana/codes/7/83947.html"23:633

There is no Louisiana law concerning the timeliness of payment to employees of other
    industries. An employer would be permitted to establish pay periods and pay days of its
    choosing.
    and,
    Statement of Wages (Pay Stub)

Louisiana does not have any laws requiring employers to provide employees at the time of
    payment any notice of wages paid, wage rates, deductions, or other wage payment
    information.
    Record Keeping Requirements

An employer must keep for at least one year a true and accurate record of:
    - the name, address, and occupation of each person employed by him,
    - the daily and weekly hours worked by the employee, and
    - the wages paid each pay period to each employee.
    Louisiana Stat. 23:14

Notice Requirements

An employer must inform employees at the time of hire what wages they will be paid, the
    method in which they will be paid and the frequency of payment. An employer must also
    inform employees of changes to any of the above-listed items prior to making the change.
    Louisiana Stat. 23:633

.._____________
    ~ Better to perish from fools than accept praises from them ~ Anton Chekhov

Comment

If this is a small business, can you approch the owner about the fact that your check has been incorrect 6 times in the past few months? Don't start accusing or blaming or insulting anyoe, but do make the problem known. You could also try approaching the payroll person and ask him to verify the hours before running payroll.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
      X