Sick Time for Surgery- What are the laws? California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Time for Surgery- What are the laws? California

I just had surgery last Tuesday and I took Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off work as sick time (I had Friday off) I was planning to return to work on Monday (since my procedure was supposed to have a quick recovery time); however, there were some complications with my surgery and it was much more invasive than they had expected. My doctor informed me that I can't return to work for two weeks, but that I can work from home (we have remote access).

I started working from home today and my employer told me that I can do as much work as I can from home, but any hours not work have to be taken as sick time. While I can do work from home, I don't think I have enough for 9 hours a day for 5 days a week (since I can't return until next week). I'm wondering if this is right. I am an exempt employee and It's not my choice to stay home. I don't have enough sick time accrued, so I will be negative in my sick time (which sucks for the future if I do need to use sick time). Do I really need to use sick time if I don't work all 9 hours from home? What about taking short term disability? Would this be another option- even though I can physically work from home?

Sorry for the long message and I really appreciate any help you can provide on this. If you do not know the answer, do you know who I could contact? I tried to look at the labor laws and wasn't really able to find this scenario!

How many employees? Do you know if FMLA is applicable?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Here's the DOL poster on FMLA: (eligibility requirements etc.)

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...ers/fmlaen.pdf
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Either way, they can charge you sick leave for the balance of the 9 hours that you do not work. The only question is can they dock your pay and that depends on FMLA/CFRA. It may not be your fault that you are not able to work but it isn't your employer's fault either. They are not required to let you work from home, so I would be grateful that you are able to do so.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X