Not getting 15 minute and sometimes lunch breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting 15 minute and sometimes lunch breaks

I currently work for a chip plant in Oregon and am in a second lowest position; packaging being the lowest. Packaging is what we do the most there are more people in that position then any other, and there is three areas. I work in one of those three ares and i am the only one i my position in that area. The supervisors always make the persons in higher positions (like me) give breaks to the packers but when it comes to our breaks they do not care if we get them and sometimes tell us (when they see us) that we are not allowed to go... is this legal? they make sure the packers get theirs but the rest of us are screwed...

(i know this is poorly written, but i do not wish to give out to much information)

Thank you

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by Pyper View Post
    I currently work for a chip plant in Oregon and am in a second lowest position; packaging being the lowest. Packaging is what we do the most there are more people in that position then any other, and there is three areas. I work in one of those three ares and i am the only one i my position in that area. The supervisors always make the persons in higher positions (like me) give breaks to the packers but when it comes to our breaks they do not care if we get them and sometimes tell us (when they see us) that we are not allowed to go... is this legal? they make sure the packers get theirs but the rest of us are screwed...

(i know this is poorly written, but i do not wish to give out to much information)

Thank you
    Well, FWIW here's the law,

Meals and Break

Oregon employers must provide employees with at least a 30-minute unpaid meal period
    when the work period is 6 hours or greater. The law requires an uninterrupted period in
    which the employee is relieved of all duties. No meal period is required if the work period is
    less than six hours. ORS 653.261; OAR 839-020-0050; OR Bureau of Labor FAQs: Meal
    and Rest Periods.

Oregon employers must provide employees 18 years of age and over with a paid,
    uninterrupted 10-minute rest break for every four-hour segment or major portion thereof in
    the work period. OAR 839-020-0050(1)(b). The rest break should be given in the middle of
    each segment, whenever possible. Employers must provide employees under the age of
    18 uninterrupted rest breaks of at least 15 minutes for each four-hour segment of work or
    major portion thereof. OAR 839-021-0072; OR Bureau of Labor FAQs: Meal and Rest
    Periods.

(See also OAR 839-020-0051 Rest Periods for Expression of Milk)

Are you Union? if so you'd have to file a grievance through them.
    If your not Union you would have to lodge a complaint with the Oregon Dept of Labor.
    http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/

Good Luck.

..______________
    ~ Anything not nailed down is mine,
    any thing I can pry loose, is not nailed down.

Comment

Thank you this will help me a lot!

Comment

Working...
      X