Personal Belongings Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Belongings Georgia

This is my first time on this forum so please do not get mad at me if I am asking a question that perhaps has already been asked. In fact this is my first time ever doing something like this so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Anyhow I was wondering whether throwing away someones personal belongings at the work place was considered illegal in the state of Georgia. For instance at my job the refrigerators were starting to get really full due to a large group of new hires and people were having a hard time finding a spot to put their lunches in the mornings. So our facilities department decided to implement a rule stating that people were to only bring their lunches rather than a weeks worth of lunch and were to take everything home at the end of the day. Also they decided that on Fridays between 3:30-4:00pm they would go through all of the refrigerators and dipose of any extra food that may be left behind (mind you our hours are 8:00-5:00 and many stay much later). They did not however state that any personal belongings such as bowls or lunchbags would also be thrown away. They have taken it upon themselves to literaly throw away everything in the refrigerator food or not food. Could someone please tell me if this is completely legal or not? It just seems to be so disrespectful when simply setting them on the counter or a table could resolve this issue without throwing away peoples things.

Did you get written notice that this would happen?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

We got an email stating that any extra food left behind would be thrown away between the stated hours, but nothing about our belongings.

Comment

Nothing legally prohibits this. Its actually fairly common for company's to throw away refridgerator contents weekly. If you've ever been at a place where this doesnt happy, you'd know why. People leave things in there forever.
        Sorry, but best abide by the policies even if inconvenient.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You're employer's policy is pretty common. Everywhere I've ever worked, there has been either a regular or periodic "take it home by Friday or it's going to get thrown out" practice.

The problem is not just overcrowding - it's that the lunchroom refrigerator gets disgusting. Employees put food in there and forget about it. Fast forward a month or so and there's all sorts of moldy food in the 'fridge and the whole thing reeks to high heaven. You were put on notice about the Friday clean-out. If you left stuff in the refrigerator, then that's on you.

Comment

It doesn't seem the rule was that unusual or that hard for the employees to follow.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm curious about the bowls and other containers...OP if these containers had food in them, were you really expecting the facilities people to clean them for you? Or to leave them on the counter where the food would spoil and cause an even bigger mess? And if the containers were empty, what were they doing in the fridge in the first place?

Regarding the notification, did it say that only food - specifically the word "food" - would be thrown away? Or did it say the contents of the fridge would be thrown away?
              Last edited by eerelations; 05-04-2012, 04:50 AM.

Comment

My company used to throow out food every week. The dishes would go into the dishwasher and then sit around on the counter until someone would start asking "whose bowl is this?". Now every night the fridge has to be cleaned out. If something is left after office hours it is tossed.

OP, perhaps it would be better if you brought your lunch in an insulated bag and left it at your desk.

Comment

On a somewhat related note..

I worked at a place once that when you opened the refrigerator door in the break room, you'd swear some one or something would pull the door shut on you from the inside, it was almost as if the door was spring loaded. It turns out it was, spring loaded, the latch was broken and one of the installers had rigged a spring on the inside to keep the door closed.
                  That year they put a new fridge in the budget.

We also had a lot of coffee drinkers who preferred their cups, well "seasoned" which translated to mean, that cup hadn't seen soap and water in God knows how long.
                  As for myself, I never learned to appreciate that goo at the bottom of the cup nor did I care to think of it as something that added extra "flavor" to the coffee as the others did.
                  So I washed my cup every night and stuck a clean paper towel in it to keep the bugs out.
                  Needless to say it didn't take people long to figure out if they wanted a clean cup they knew which one to grab. The fact that my name was on the cup didn't seem to phase them at all.
                  So after a couple of weeks or so of coming to work and seeing my cup in someone else's hand, I came up with an idea that worked rather well.
                  Before I left for home, I would put a note in the cup that simply read,

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, THE TEST CAME BACK POSITIVE.

Ya know, after that, I never had any problems finding my cup in the mornings,
                  in fact,
                  ..I had a whole shelf to myself.

..____________
                  ~ CAUTION:
                  Dangerously Under-Medicated,
                  I do what ever the voices tell me to do…

Comment

I worked at a place that had a small "kitchenette"- regular sized fridge,, a nuke, a few cabinets and sink & counter. And they installed hooks under the cabinets for coffee cups. In the cabinets they shelves were partitioned with people last names under them. Enough room for a plate, bowl, and a cup. They had silverware (not really "silver" silver, but you get the idea). The rule was ALL bowls, plates & cups had to have your name on it. No name, in the garbage it goes. In the fridge, food not labeled was either community eats or in the trash. Sometimes fellow co-workers would order a couple baskets of rotisserie chicken and share it. A couple of us would fix a big pot of eats and share it. It was very communal and everyone got along great. There was about 12 of us there. No one complained about doing the dishes, or doing the cleaning around the office & shop. One guy's wife would come in and do a serious clean up weekly. It was pretty cool. Everyone liked it and everyone got along.

Can't imagine why other work environments are not as good as that. (insert whistling.wav)
                    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Working...
                    X