This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many annoyances with current employer. Washington

Now, I am a delivery boy, crap job, crap pay, crap hours. But it's what I am stuck with to try and pay the bills while I seek employment in the field I desire/

First and biggest annoyance would be when the schedules are released. Our schedule weeks run from Tues-Mon, and the schedules are not released until late Monday night( Usually about 5PM but sometimes after 9-10PM), only a few hours prior to the beginning of the work week.

Second would be showing up to a scheduled shift and being sent home only an hour later, simply because it is too slow. Being paid Min. Wage, on these days sometimes it costs me more to show up to work than I actually make.

Third, Sometimes I never have time to sleep. I'll make an example of my current week schedule. Tonight, I am supposed to work 5PM-1:15AM which means I will leave when everything is done, usually about 1AM, sometimes as late as 2AM if it was busy. The next shift(same day considering it is 2 AM already) I must be in for a mandatory meeting from 9AM-10AM, and then back again the same day at 5 to start a regular shift. This takes time in between shifts for transportation, and time to eat, shower, clean my uniform, and sleep. If I do leave at the earliest possible 1AM, and give these tasks a reasonable allotment of time, such as 20 min transportation, 20 min to cook a meal and another 15-20 to eat. Then start my 1 uniform to wash for 30 min, and dry for 45 while I take a shower and prepare for bed. It is now easily at least 3 AM and will take until about 4 to wind down and actually be able to sleep. This means I have to be up in 4 hours to be to the mandatory meeting. I'd keep going, but i'm sure you see where this is going.

Fourth and final, would be the pay. I am getting min wage, which here in Washington is $8.55 On top of that, I get a set amount per delivery that is delivered. We are to provide our own transportation, so this money is supposed to cover the cost of gas and maintenance. Which some days does not even cover the gas used to make these deliveries in my 25MPG vehicle. Occasionally there will be the upset customer who may/may not have a legitimate complaint, and we must re-deliver. For this extra mileage, we are not compensated. And the occasional time when the business requests the drivers to run errands, such as going to the bank to make deposits, or to the store to pick up more operating supplies. For these also, we are never offered any compensation.

I am sorry for this rant, this place looked like a bunch of kind people who may have some advice to offer that may help make my stay/departure with the company a bit easier. If anything, letting the frustration out here will help a bit if any.

Did you have a legal question in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
      Did you have a legal question in there?
      I didn't have any specific legal questions. Only if anyone spots anything unlawful about any of the things I am frustrated with that I should be more concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetohz View Post
        I didn't have any specific legal questions. Only if anyone spots anything unlawful about any of the things I am frustrated with that I should be more concerned about.

Nothing illegal is happening with the SLIGHT possibility that you're not being compensated for ALL of the time worked.

If you don't like the schedule and/or the terms of your employment you're absolutely free to seek employment elsewhere.

Sorry.
        Last edited by Dogmatique; 09-24-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Unemployment.

..________________
          ~ Character is the ability to carry out the commitment,
          ... long after the mood is gone

Comment

It's what I am stuck with to try and pay the bills while I seek employment in the field I desire
            Others have said something about them scheduling me, and them denying me the ability to work my scheduled shift.

There is a minimum amount of time between shifts they must provide.

Minimum shift lengths.

Etc.

Clearly it all boils down to me agreeing to do what they ask me to do. Where should I draw the line and say no without consequences? If Unemployment were an option, I would jump all over it. I was on unemployment before accepting employment here. I even made more money while on unemployment. My weekly checks from UI were bigger than my current bi-weekly paychecks.

Comment

Others have said something about them scheduling me, and them denying me the ability to work my scheduled shift.
              They are legally allowed to change your hours.

There is a minimum amount of time between shifts they must provide.

Ask your friend to provide the cite for this.

Minimum shift lengths.

Etc.

No legal minimum shift lengths.

Clearly it all boils down to me agreeing to do what they ask me to do. Where should I draw the line and say no without consequences? If Unemployment were an option, I would jump all over it. I was on unemployment before accepting employment here. I even made more money while on unemployment. My weekly checks from UI were bigger than my current bi-weekly paychecks.

That's entirely up to you, I'm afraid.

But as long as you're being paid for the hours you actually work, I can see no illegal activity by your employer.

Comment

Appreciate it all, unfortunately build hatred towards the company. Makes me miss the great company I once worked for and how well they took care of their employees.

Last question I just thought of while doing some reading. In the past, I have been requested of to be placed "on-call" for the week, where I would be removed from the schedule for the week and be called in if and when they needed me. I would not be able to be more than half hour from work if they got busy. They did not offer to compensate me to remain in the work area incase they needed me. The only way I would have gotten any money would be if I were called in and worked an hourly shift. I was told I would not be able to go visit family which is 45 min away during the week. Luckily I found someone else who was willing and I was placed on the schedule normally.

If this situation arises again, should I seek compensation? Or is this one of those "they are free to do what they wish with the schedule"

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Cheetohz ~ I was on unemployment before accepting employment here. I even made more money while on unemployment. My weekly checks from UI were bigger than my current bi-weekly paychecks.
                  Are they are free to do what they wish with the schedule"
                  Yes they are free to do what they want with the schedule.
                  As long as you are paid for all hours worked, compensation for just 'being on call', would be up to your employer.
                  There are however no Federal or State laws requiring your employer to do so.

If it's that bad,
                  I'd start looking for something else while you still have a job
                  sooner or later, that, living the "good life" will be over as soon as the unemployment money runs out
                  Good Luck.
                  .._______________
                  ~ VOTE ALL INCUMBENTS OUT IN 2012,
                  WE NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR A NEW BATCH OF CROOKS !!
                  Last edited by drruthless; 09-24-2011, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Well, that was stupid of me to say that, clearly they are free to do what they wish with the schedule. I was more concerned about them telling me what I can do with my time that I have away from work. and penalizing me if I have made myself unavailable during that time that I am not being paid.

Comment

What they are doing is legal. Asking you to respond within 30 minutes is not so much of a burden that they need to compensate you for that time. They only need to pay you for the time you are actually callled in to work.

How you schedule your personal time away from work is up to you, not your employer. With at least 7 hours between shifts, there is plenty of time to do what you need to do. It might mean you need to adjust your personal life to allow more time for things you want to do, but every working person must do this to some extent.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Reading through your posts, I don't see anything, based on what you posted,
                        that is illegal.
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                        X