This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it legal Colorado

I'm in colorado and last year I got a dui I went to my company and told them they demoted me and lowered my pay and wrote me up. Six months later they are coming back and stating that tey can't insure me they tell me that I have to get all kinds of insurance's from workers comp to auto I jumped on it got quotes but was unable to get workers comp I was told it is illegal to require and employee to provide it so I went back to my bass and told him. They change everything now they are telling me that even though they are not paying me in any way shape or form to get to work that I can't drive even if I have a licensce and that I have to carry 1000000 dolllars insurance on the person that drives me. They stated that even though this is my personal time since they do not pay me mileage or hourly untill I get to the site that I can't drive myself.
    If it is illeagal does anyone know a good laywer in colorado to help me?

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by scared4myjob View Post
    I'm in colorado and last year I got a dui I went to my company and told them they demoted me and lowered my pay and wrote me up. Six months later they are coming back and stating that tey can't insure me they tell me that I have to get all kinds of insurance's from workers comp to auto I jumped on it got quotes but was unable to get workers comp I was told it is illegal to require and employee to provide it so I went back to my bass and told him. They change everything now they are telling me that even though they are not paying me in any way shape or form to get to work that I can't drive even if I have a licensce and that I have to carry 1000000 dolllars insurance on the person that drives me. They stated that even though this is my personal time since they do not pay me mileage or hourly untill I get to the site that I can't drive myself.
    If it is illeagal does anyone know a good laywer in colorado to help me?
    It is against forum rules to make recommendations of any kind in regards as to the selection of an Attorney.
    I would recommend, you try the yellow pages,
    Look under the As for Attorney,
    Or the Ls for Lawyer
    Many offer a free first time consultation.
    Good Luck.
    ..____________________
    ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
    you get what you pay for. ~ drr

Comment

Your employer is required to have workman's comp on all employees, but your employer is not responsible for ensuring you get to work, you are.

You did not post specifics (do you work in a city with public transportation, do you work at a remote job site, etc) but there are always ways to get where you need to go. Have someone else drive you and pay them for gas. Share a ride with a co worker. Take a bus.

But finding your way to work is your responsibility.

Comment

I had a bit of trouble following the sentence structure, but...

--If a job requires you to have a clean driving record, and you get a DUI, they can certainly remove you from the job. They can certainly demote you, lower your pay, and discipline you. If you are still employed, consider yourself lucky.

--If the job requires insurance, and the employer's insurer won't cover you because of your DUI, they can certainly (and should) fire you. It sounds like they instead are giving you the opportunity to get yourself insured. Again, consider yourself lucky to still have a job, and go out and get your own coverage if possible.

--No one is responsible for you getting to the job site but you. you do not have to be paid for the time you are driving to and from work. You do not have to be paid mileage for driving to and from work.

Lastly, I don't know about your state, but my state (NJ) which had notoriously been very employee-friendly in unemployment cases, is now finding people who get fired for things like this ineligible for unemployment. Our last decision in our favor was regarding an employee who lost her driver's license (required for her job). The UI hearing officer determined that since she lost her license through her own actions, she voluntarily disqualified herself from the requirements of her job, and therefore, losing her job was voluntary. If being insurable under WC or vehicle insurance is required for your job, and your DUI disqualifies you, you might be in the same or a similar boat.
        Last edited by TSCompliance; 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X