This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COBRA question Kentucky

I have a brother working for a 150 or so person employer. He had insurance and was doing great as a supervisor then the company decided "they wanted to go in a different direction". Which is fine. The question is, he never got a COBRA letter or was told about his ability to take COBRA. They canceled his health insurance. Now he is out of blood pressure medicine and is extremly sick, throwing up and is afraid to go to the doctor because he has no insurance. The company also never turned forms into the state so it has delayed his unemployment insurance.

My understanding is, the company has 14 days from the date of termination to give a person papers telling of the rights under cobra. Then he has 60 days to decide. He was let go sometime in July. Calls to the HR manager are not returned. I am debating getting involved and calling myself but I know they probably wont talk to me becasue I am not him.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Actually, its 45 days from the date of termination before COBRA paperwork has to be sent. Can he go to a clinic? If he cant afford his BP medicine, how is he going to afford the cobra payments?
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

FYI, it's 44 days from the date the insurance coverage ceased.

Agree with your conclusion on the cost. If he can't afford to pay for his BP medication, how is your brother going to pay for the insurance once COBRA is sent? I suggest your brother call his doctor and ask him to authorize a refill on his BP medication.

Comment

I amnot sure. I know the blood pressure medicine he is on is expensive. So the company has 45 days from the date of term to get the letter to him. He has another 60 to decide. Before they will start back his insurance he will have to pay whatever the cobra is, right? So theortically, even though he has not seen a cobra letter, he could go to the doctor and if he pays for the cobra after that. (Once he receives the letter) whatever bills he has incurred will be paid? (The insurance will be retroactively re instated?)

I mentioned a free clinic but to be honest I am not sure how those work.

Comment

By the way he asked ofr a refil but it had been so long since he had been in the doctor wont do it without seeing him first. He also has child support and other payments and I guess his little girl is on the insurance too.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

So the company has 45 days from the date of term to get the letter to him. He has another 60 to decide. Before they will start back his insurance he will have to pay whatever the cobra is, right? Correct (although it's 44 days from the date insurance ceased.)

So theortically, even though he has not seen a cobra letter, he could go to the doctor and if he pays for the cobra after that. (Once he receives the letter) whatever bills he has incurred will be paid? (The insurance will be retroactively re instated?) His insurance will be retro-actively reinstated once the employer receives the COBRA payment from your brother.

By the way he asked ofr a refil but it had been so long since he had been in the doctor wont do it without seeing him first. Understandable but your brother going without medication may be life-threatening. I can only suggest he bite the bullet and get into see his doctor asap.

Comment

Thanks Beth3. You are correct. I wasnt being careful in my response.
              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X