Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All party consent to recording needs more exceptions added or abolished! California

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All party consent to recording needs more exceptions added or abolished! California

This is in regards to in person job related (non-phone) conversation.
    With this law, employers can get away with almost anything, including lies and deniable of bogus writeups.

How do we go about doing this and what are your feelings about this all party consent rule before any conversation can be recorded? One exception I've heard of is blackmail and extortion or criminal activity:

http://www.netplaces.com/private-inv...rveillance.htm

"There are some exceptions to all-party consent. In California, one-party consent applies when one party is involved in criminal activity, including extortion or blackmail. This means that if someone is blackmailing you in California, you can record that person in order to prove the criminal activity, even though the state usually requires that all parties to a recorded conversation give their assent. Another exception occurs in Arizona, where telephone conversations can be recorded by telephone service providers with no-party consent when criminal behavior is involved."

Question: isn't it wrong for an employer to make knowingly false allegations to take one's job away? If so, since a job is a property, isn't it a "crime" to steal my job by offering invalid / biased performance reviews?
    I think a 1 person consent is a better idea
    100.00%
    I think all party consent is a good idea
    0.00%
    Last edited by webstuff; 06-25-2011, 12:48 PM.

A job isn't property and unless you have a contract there is no guarantee of forever employment.

You should read up on "at will employment".

Comment

How do we go about doing this and what are your feelings about this all party consent rule before any conversation can be recorded? If you don't like the State law, then write your State representatives. Opinions from anyone responding here (most of whom aren't even in CA) don't mean squat.

isn't it wrong for an employer to make knowingly false allegations to take one's job away? Is it wrong? Sure. Is it illegal? Depends entirely on the specific situation.

If so, since a job is a property, isn't it a "crime" to steal my job by offering invalid / biased performance reviews? . Your car is a property. Your job isn't. You don't own a job.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X