This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-sexual harassment?

last week, while i was walking from the parking lot to go to work, i saw my manager standing outside smoking a cigarette. as i approached the front door, she started yelling at me for selling some product the day before that she had wanted for herself. she's yelling, waving her arms around, and making a scene, all outside where people can see. after i realized she wouldn't let up, i politely said that i would be back tomorrow and turned around and left. since she was yelling at me outside work before i even had a chance to walk through the door and clock-in, is she in an actionable position? and i forgot to add that as soon as i got home, i left messages with two different people from employee relations to file a complaint. not only did they never return my calls, but when i tried to return to work the next day i couldn't. my manager was told by her manager to suspend me for the weekend...

Based on what you posted, I see nothing illegal done here. It's not illegal
    for your mgr. to yell at you (though unprofessional). It's also not illegal to
    suspend you for leaving work & going home.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm not excusing the manager's behavior, but you're lucky you weren't fired for job abandonment.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        I'm not excusing the manager's behavior, but you're lucky you weren't fired for job abandonment.
        I am not sure the incident isn't over yet.

OP, whenever you think you can just turn around and leave, remember that it may be a one way trip.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
          I am not sure the incident isn't over yet.

OP, whenever you think you can just turn around and leave, remember that it may be a one way trip.
          Not only did she leave but she walked away while her manager was speaking to her. She can debate whether the manager was correct in what she was saying but walking away during a conversation usually creates a discipline issue.

Comment

Working...
          X