This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pair of questions

I'm an exempt employee in Massachusetts. Whether that's the right classification is a different issue.

Where I work, we've gotten an email from the boss that lunch is a half-hour. Unfortunately, the work day is also set at nine hours long; the other half-hour is apparently unpaid overtime.

My understanding (from two decades ago) was if the scheduled weekly hours are greater than forty - even for exempt employees - overtime must be paid.

I've also been putting a lot of Sunday hours in for travel to client sites. Are these payable as overtime, or an I basically screwed as an exempt employee?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Silkroad; 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM. Reason: Typos, how I hate thee...

If you are actually an exempt employee, you get paid a regular fixed
    weekly salary no matter how many hrs. you work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And extra pay has NEVER been required for salaried exempt employees, even decades ago.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

There are no circumstances whatsoever under which an exempt employee is entitled by law to overtime, regardless of how many hours he works.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

An exempt employee gets paid a fixed weekly salary for getting the job done no
          matter how many hrs. it takes. You get paid on your job classification/job duties.

Your salary isn't based on hrs. worked - therefore, no "OT" pay.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed with all the above. Which begs the question, how sure are you that you are really Exempt?
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I wondered that also since the OP didn't seem sure they were classified correctly.

OP - what is your job title but mainly what are your job duties in detail? What
              kind of a business do you work for (not actual name of busi. though).

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X