X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory out of state business trip California

Hi,

I live and work in California and was wondering if anyone knew the law regarding mandatory business trips on a weekend after a 40 hour work week. I was informed today that I was not being paid for the trip and it is because all of my meals and accommodations are paid for. I work a full 40 hours that week, leave Friday night and do not get in until late Sunday night and I am expected to be in the office Monday morning. I did not ask to go on this trip I was informed it was mandatory for me. Any help or suggestions. Is this legal of them to do?

Thanks

Are you exempt or non-exempt?

It is legal for you to be required to go on a mandatory out of state business trip over the weekend, even after a 40 hours week. It is legal for them to require you to be in the office Monday morning.

Whether it is legal for some or all of the time to be unpaid, depends on the answer to the above question.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      Are you exempt or non-exempt?

It is legal for you to be required to go on a mandatory out of state business trip over the weekend, even after a 40 hours week. It is legal for them to require you to be in the office Monday morning.

Whether it is legal for some or all of the time to be unpaid, depends on the answer to the above question.
      I am non-exempt.

Comment

Mandatory trips are legal. The only real issue is payment. CA is unusual in that it is one of the few (maybe the only) states that does not follow the federal rules for hours worked. Rather then copy the rather long ciation, I am going to point you to the CA-DLSE manual. Start at chapter 46.2 through 46.3.2.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Manual-Instructions.htm
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X