This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of hours between shifts

I work at a very popular coffee house and it has been common for an employee to work and 8 hour shift till close (12:30am) and then another 8 hr shift the next morning at 4 am. More often though there will be 6 hrs in between a shift though. Is this legal? I've tried finding information on the amount of time between shifts, but haven't found anything. I'm so tired of closing the store, getting 5 hours of sleep, and working another 8 hr shift the next morning. Help!!! This just doesn't seem legal!

You didn't furnish the name of your state. However, this is legal unless
    you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. There are
    sometimes exceptions for certain occupations for safety reasons (ie airline
    pilot, long haul trucker) & minors.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

What state? (There is a reason that is asked when you post your question).

If this is illegal (and it probably is not), then it would be a function of state law, not federal law. In most states requiring someone to work 24/7 is not formally illegal. Bad idea, and physically impossible, but one that no specific law addresses. There are a few occupations (airline pilot, long haul truck driver for example) that are exceptions, as well as minor children employee. In most states it is legal to work doctors in hospitals 36 hour shifts, which I personally find more scary then coffee shop workers doing what you describe. It is also common for police to legally work long shifts. Knowing that there are sleep deprived people carrying guns and badges makes me feel safer all ready.

Fair and legal unfortunately are not the same thing. Many unfair things violate no actual laws. This is likely one of them. Still, you never no. Let us know the state and it might ring a bell.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thread got closed - apparently by OP - will leave closed.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X