This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployement Overpayment Idaho

I just received a letter from the IDOL that advises me they determined they have overpaid my benefits almost $3000. I have been working part-time, temporary jobs to try and supplement my income, always reporting my wages earned. Now the State of Idaho advises me that I should have know when I made 6 times my initial unemployment claim and notified them.

I don't understand how this could have happened. Every week I report my wages and every month I check in with my TRA representative. I told her about the jobs, etc. I even have sat in front of people with the labor department when I had forms to fill out for extensions, etc. No one told me about the me approaching this amount. I even had a a meeting with my representative and another worker who told me I hadn't reach my amount months ago and it didn't matter because I was on the TRA program.

The letter advises me that I can file an appeal - but I don't know how to word it, or find a form. Can any provide insight?

Thanks!

There probably is not a "form"; there is not in most states. At this point, all you have to do is put in writing that you wish to appeal, by the deadline which, as you know, is very short.

I'm not familiar with the provisions of the TRA and how it affects UI under these circumstances, but I do know an HR person who qualified her company for the TRA before they went under, and I'll ask her.

Check back in a day or two. Or maybe someone else will have information for you before that time.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What is the state saying you must do? Repay the money?

Be careful using the "it's not my fauly, nobody told me defense." It is often ill received.
      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I agree, however, that the state should have been keeping track of this.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

This is what I got from my colleague.

TRA benefits are generally payable to eligible unemployed after state and federal benes are exhausted AND if the person is enrolled and attending an approved training program. This person really needs to go back to their TRA rep and have the rep try to figure out if the benes are really overpaid or if they are, in fact, the TRA benes and somehow the training program requirement was waived due to college degree or due to the PT jobs.
          Hope it helps.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. The state does want me to pay back the amount and sent me a notice.

I filed an request for waiver on overpayment. I talked with my TRA representative who helped me with the form. I also provided a time line and explanation for the last 6 months where I went into the labor office several times in regards to benefits, extensions, missing forms, etc and no one told me about tracking the amount and reporting it or other representatives catching it earlier.

The state requires to have an explanation why the amount overpaid was an error of the labor office AND how I could not have been expected to notice the error also. I hope my information is sufficient. My TRA representative told me they recently had to redo forms because the notices they were sending out were not properly notifying people. Hope this turns out okay!

Thanks!
            Last edited by cassidyhood; 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

The TRA program is probably helping this situation quite a bit.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X