This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min for weekly hours? South Carolina

My girlfriend has been an employee in SC for 2 years, as a part time employee, recently they cut back on hours for everyone. After hiring more staff, they have now completely left her off the schedule.

My question is, is it legal to not give an hours at all to an employee, but not fire them, or lay them off?
    Last edited by ffuheahs; 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM.

You should remove the name of your girlfriend's employer; you never know who is reading these boards!

Has she talked to management to find out why she is off the schedule? That's probably the best first step for her.

To answer your question, it is perfectly legal in an "at will" state such as SC to not schedule an employee, but not fire or lay him/her off. If management won't give her an answer as to her employment status, she should file for Unemployment and start looking for another position.
    The opinions and advice I give are strictly from my own experiences and respect that others may feel differently than me. I do sometimes play devil's advocate, but mean it as no offense towards anyone.

Comment

There is no min. # of hours a full time or part time employee has to be given
      a week unless there is a binding employment contract guaranteeing a min. #
      of hrs. This applies in all states.

As the other responder stated, she can file for unemployment ins.
      Last edited by Betty3; 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X