This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory flu/swine flu shot? New York

Can an employer make their empoyees get the flu shot or swne flu shot or else they lose their job? If it is job type specific, in childcare (not babies) can they make it mandatory?
    Last edited by mount21; 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM.

If your employer makes the flu shot mandatory & you don't get one, they may very well end up terminating your employment.

Here is a link re a daycare worker being told she would be fired if she did not get mandatory flu shot (NY)
    http://republicbroadcasting.org:80/?p=4493

Here is a link with an article re mandatory flu shots for health care workers in NY being suspended but due to shortage of vaccine. Another article in the link also mentions take a shot or lose your job. There seems to be lawsuits over mandatory shots & probably more to follow. However, that doesn't mean your employer at this time will not fire you for not taking a mandatory shot. There would be exceptions to taking the shot if you were allergic to the vaccine & your health was at risk & "possibly" due to religious reasons.
    http://hrbriefcase.blogspot.com:80/2...1_archive.html

Do you have a specific objection to taking the shot?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

My boss hasn't made it mandatory, and I really don't she would, so this was kind of like a "what if" question. She's not the type to make rules her employees don't agree with, and when she tried they don't last more than a week. If she did, I would let her fire me, because I have a problem putting drugs in me that have not been widely tested and the long term effects are not tested. I know she wouldn't want to fire me, so I'm fairly confident that unless it was a state mandate, she would be flexable, and if she wasn't then oh well. I did hear someone ask her the other day though if we are suppose to ge thte flu shots, and I think she said yes, but I don't know if she meant like you should so you don't get sick or you have to, she hasn't told us all to though. The kids are gonig to be at school where they will be around other kids and teachers carrying the virus, so honestly whats on more unvaccinated person gonna do. I think you can still carry the virus to other people even if you are vaccinated. I have also never gotten the flu before. I have to leave because of school in January, and if I had to leave early and couldn't go back, then I could live with that. I'll be applying for "real" jobs in May when I graduate anyways.

Comment

Thread noted. Maybe then from your post your employer will not make them mandatory.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X