This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA - Any Good Books? California

I LOVE sites like this. I learn so much from reading different situations and searching for answers to my own questions. Thanks so much!

However, I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good book for me to get as an Employer so that I can make sure I am correctly following the Labor Laws and calculating payroll correctly? Something like "Payroll 101" or "Payroll for Dummies."

I just have so many miscellaneous questions and I am having a hard time finding answers to my questions. I want to make sure I am paying for sick time correctly, vacations, holidays, etc. I want to make sure I am rounding time cards correctly. I want to make sure I am getting all the correct information/documents from my employees when they start. Everything!

Any suggestions?

I think the CA Chamber of Commerce may have something. Also, check the DLSE website. They often have free seminars for employers.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The American Payroll Association has a book called The Payroll Source book which is the study guide for the Certified Payroll Professionals exam, and is generally considered to be the "payroll bible" by payroll professionals.

A problem you will run into however is that there is a very big difference between federal payroll law (which is universal) and state payroll law (which is state specific). With your sample question, benefit hours tends to be very much state payroll law specific will questions requarding hours worked and time accounting tend to be federal law. Payroll law at the federal level is part Internal Revenue Code (IRS) and part Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

The book I just mentioned is very good at federal law, but less so at state law. Since you are CA, start with the following website. I am pointing you to the CA vacation rules, but if you move around the website, you can find the rest of the CA rules there.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Vacation.htm
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

DAW, I was trying for reading that was a little less dry.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the input. That's okay, I'm an accountant. I like dry!

Comment

Originally posted by MHami View Post
            Thanks for the input. That's okay, I'm an accountant. I like dry!
            Then go for the real thing.

Comment

Working...
            X