This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt salary employees clocking in and out in Indiana Indiana

We are considering having our salary employees clock in and out now. Not to watch their hours, but just to have a means of knowing who is here and who is not in terms of safety (we have over 1200 employees). I have been told time and again that it is legal to do this, but I would like to see it documented somewhere. Do you know of any laws or documents stating exempt employees clocking in and out is absolutely legal?

The reason you don't see it documented (as such) is because it's not either required nor illegal. If you have people protesting, put the burden on them to show you the law that says you can't do it. They won't be able to.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

That will be difficult.

It is legal because there is no law that makes it illegal.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

There are no laws requiring exempt employees to clock in and no laws prohibiting them from doing so.

The company can do what it wants to do.
        Last edited by ScottB; 03-19-2008, 12:13 AM.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The employer can also make it's Exempt employees wear rubber chicken suits to the office because there is no law saying that they cannot. There are a lot of things employers can require their employee's to do as long as there is no law that says otherwise.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
            The employer can also make it's Exempt employees wear rubber chicken suits to the office because there is no law saying that they cannot. There are a lot of things employers can require their employee's to do as long as there is no law that says otherwise.
            I don't have a chicken suit.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
              Be careful what you ask for.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                You left that organization.

Oh, wait. Suit, with a "u."
                Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                  You left that organization.

Oh, wait. Suit, with a "u."
                  Scott, you crack me up.

Comment

Working...
                  X