This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Compete in WA State Washington

I started a company for someone 3 years ago. About 5 months ago he made everyone in the company sign a non-compete agreement that states that we will not do the same type of work within a 100 mile radius for 5 years. 3 months ago I was terminated. I was told that in order for him to hold me to the agreement that he would have to compensate me for the amount of time that I would not be able to use my skills doing the same thing. I was also told that if I was terminated that the contract is void. Are any of these things true if so where would I find the laws?

I doubt that there is a statute to that effect, but I also doubt that the agreement is enforceable. Show it to a local attorney.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's the problem, I don't have a copy of it and he will not return my calls

Comment

Historically, non competes are tough to enforce... especially for those of you represented by the 9th district.

5 years is stupidly excessive... so is 100 miles.

Judges LOOK for reasons to throw out noncompetes.

At the time of signing, were you offered anything other than continued employment for signing?

Always Always Always keep copies of ANYTHING you sign... from a non compete down to the receipt from the paper boy.

I will check to see if Washington State mandates that you can see your file.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Washington - annually, employers must let employees inspect any or all of their personnel files upon the employee's request. Employees also may ask their employers to review all information in their files annually to determine whether any info is wrong or irrelevant & to have such info removed. Employees who disagree with the employer's determination may place a statement in the files with their own suggested corrections. The statute doesn't explicitly allow employees to copy documents.

add info - former employees may review their own personnel files, but they retain the right to request corrections for only two years after the termination of employment.
          Last edited by Betty3; 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM. Reason: add info
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.jacksonlewis.com/legalupd...le.cfm?aid=662

http://www.dorsey.com/publications/l...ubid=175186003
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Now there is more

They have challanged my unemployment by saying that I lied to them and clients. They have created false documentation from the laptop I had to turn back in and now I have a phone hearing on December 27th

Comment

Working...
              X