This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work Environment

I Believe, New Owners of our company are creating a hostile environment using inexperienced Managers, by denying rights and other benefits. They also began a campaign of cost cutting ideas, a couple of those ideas, force the employees to violate certain laws. I had been terminated for refusing to violate vehicle code # 23114 (spilling Loads) They want us to stop using time for washing rocks & concrete off the back of our cement trucks before entering the Highway.
    A Class actions has been filed for denying Lunch and Rest Periods, Doubletime, 2nd Rest Periods etc. Rank & File recently demanded and were granted a meeting with Operations and Human Relations for the purpose of exposing the inhumane treatment and lies crafted by bottom level Managers. Upper Management has since STATED that they are 100% behind their plant Managers. I emphasize STATED, because Management is notorious for refusing to answer in writing.
    I have filed a formal complaint with the Highway Patrol, Their response is mostly, that if the driver violates the law, the driver gets the ticket. If we do not violate the law we may be terminated.
    My question is twofold
    What is my recourse (terminated for refusing to violate state law) ?
    Where should we begin to initiate a Hostile Work Environment action ?
    Thank You

The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning under the law and what you describe does not meet it. So the answer to your second question is, you don't.

I'm not sure who is the regulatory agency for your industry. Have you talked to the Department of Transportation?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I have contacted the D.O.T.. It appears the issue is not significant enough to them . They may need to wait till someone is injured or killed before they act.

I did fail to mention that I was active in filing the Class action and virtually all drivers still wash the debri off their trucks prior to entering the roadway, I was singled out.

Comment

Working...
      X