This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation and Holiday Pay Missouri

If a business is closed the day before or after a holiday, can the employer require you to take a vacation day in order to receive your holiday pay? Our office is closed the day after Thanksgiving and our boss requires us to take a vacation day for that Friday in order to receive the holiday pay for Thanksgiving. Is this legal?

Yes it is. There is no law in Missouri requiring any pay at all for holidays.

Having said that, though, are you exempt or nonexempt?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't know.

Comment

Are you paid on an hourly basis or a salaried basis? And what exactly do you do? There's a reason I'm asking.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am paid on an hourly basis and I am a graphic artist.

Comment

Then you are most likely nonexempt, and my original response applies. Just to make sure, what happens if you miss, for example, half a day for a doctor's appointment and don't have any leave time to use? Would you not be paid for that time?

Comment

I would just not be paid for that time.

Comment

Yeah, then nonexempt for sure.

Comment

What difference would it make if I were exempt?

Comment

If you were exempt, they could still make you take a vacation day to get paid the holiday, but if you were OUT of vacation time, they could not dock your weekly salary.

Comment

Does it make a difference if this is not listed in the company policy?

Comment

Nope, sorry.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X