This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid Wages Michigan

Is there anything that can be done if someone's getting paid under the table and the employer has not paid wages due for the past 3 weeks? Is there some way to report the employer for paying under the table? Any help or input is greatly appreciated!!!

What do you do and what type of business do you do it for?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And who are you in the scenario you describe?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The business type is carpentry work. The employer is subcontracted thru construction company. It's not myself who was employed w/them-- I'm a registered nurse who happily pays her taxes! But I do know that if there's a way to report the person or file a complaint, they'd happily pay back taxes on the wages they've earned. Again, all help is greatly appreciated

Comment

Not all subcontractors are employees. We'd have to know more details about the situation to tell if there's even a violation of any laws here.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Keep it simple. Have the person who has unpaid wages file an unpaid wage claim with MI state DOL. Also have them file a UI claim. The worker in question has standing to take both of those actions. Stay focused. Do exactly what is needed for those two claims. No more. No less. Do not assume that MI-DOL is in the business of setting up windmills for you to tilt at.

To answer the next question, there is no guarentee that either action will be successful, but there is at least a reasonable possibility that either or both actions will work. Either process will incidentally have the effect of putting the employer into the system as paying workers under the table.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Many thanks for everyone's help and input. Please understand this is not a vindictive situation--simply one in which an employee is trying to obtain wages in which they've worked for but have not been paid. The person who was subcontracted thru the construction company was paid by that company so that he could pay his employees. He in turn has not paid his employees in 3 weeks because his bank account has been in overdraft and therefore when the monies have been deposited, they were not available for payroll. . . Obviously the employee has since quite the job but does not want to let 3 weeks of pay go uncollected. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X