This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last paycheck issues - GA

I submitted a written two week resignation notice the week after I received the training paid by the company. The company is now deducting the whole amount of training from my last paycheck. There is no legal document signed by me that requires me to pay them back for the training that they provided for me.
    Can they legally deduct the money from my paycheck (which happens to be almost my entire paycheck). I am a salaried employee. Today is the payday, but i haven't received anything from them yet and officially I'm still an employee...

Federal rules are very poorly written but arguably would allow your employer to reduce wages down to minimum wage (and paid overtime depending on your Exempt status).
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm

GA is not my state, but GA is generally considered to be a state with very little in the way of labor law. Assuming GA actually has a DOL, you could try filing a wage claim. Couldn't hurt, although I have no idea what GA rules on the subject (if any) are.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Ga. has a DOL but like DAW said the laws are very weak. They would probably refer you to the fed. DOL. (or a person can sue for wages in small claims court)

The only thing I could find that Ga. restricts from a paycheck deduction is union dues w/o authorization from employee. O.C.G.A. code 34-6-25 & 34-6-26.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

My understanding is that contract law in GA would prohibit the reduction of wages without a written agreement to do so. However, that would have to be dealt with in civil court - the DOL would not address it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg - thanks for the info.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X