This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawbound,
    I you are sincere in wanting a solution over money, then I apologize for jumping to conclusions. It's just that there are too many people who think "I deserve something" instead of thinking that the guilty party (whether it may be the assailant or the company) should be punished on principle. I applaud you and your boyfriend on your principles.
    I'd really respect you and your boyfriend a lot more if you did eventually win a lawsuit and got some kind of award, if you would use part of it to pay your legal fees, and donate the rest to a worthy charity.

I disagree with Hateworking that if someone is assaulted, that it necessarily means they deserve some kind of "compensation." I believe that if someone is wronged, the wrongdoer deserves to get punished.

I recently had a brief identity theft case in which someone got 3,000 out of my bank account before it was caught within 20 minutes. My bank restored the money into my account because it was discovered right away that it was fraudulent. But I was not satisfied. I wanted the person who did this to be prosecuted. I filed a police report, and the police officer pretty much said they would not do anything to pursue it. The bank and the police were like "why does it matter, you got your money back?"

If I had the choice to not get the money back in my account but to see the thief stand trial and go to jail, I'd gladly give up the 3 grand!

Comment

TSCompliance,
      Well, thank you for seeing that in us. Both my boyfriend and I had money taken out of our checking account from Canada and we both wanted that a**hole to pay criminally! A girl at work got her purse stolen from the baggage delivery service who charged over $2000 worth of crap on her credit cards. We have all encouraged her to prosecute since the police are aiding her... they have atm photos and video. He got arrested and what a great feeling it was to all of us. I think it's great to put criminals in their place. However, since there was no physical contact in this particular case, I'm not sure criminal prosecution will work. As far as I know, they have to actually hit you first, which is why I think we hear so much (and recently in the "Wild Hogs" movie I watched last night ;-)) "Go ahead, hit me, then I'll sue your a**." Trust me, if he were hit himself... we'd have called police along time ago!
      Anyway, he contacted a lawyer and has a couple of options, but he's going one step under the CEO, then it's on to the CEO himself to see if this can be resolved without any legal action. See, he's trying. I want to be a lawyer myself someday.
      It just makes me so incredibly angry what companies are allowed to do and employees have little protection with all kinds of issues. Like I realize employers do not have to be pleasant... they can name call, yell, fire you just because they don't like you anymore, and it only becomes unlawful if it is due to skin color, gender, sexual orientation, etc. And it's so hard to prove even something that is legally protected. :sigh: Sometimes I think a more black and white career would be easier.
      Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses.

Comment

Criminal complaint, tort assualt, employer respondaet superior liability

Of course you sue for monetary damages. The employer is liable in tort for his agentís behavior while operating on the job. Itís called vicarious liability.
        There is Intentional infliction of emotional distress here. False imprisonment, assault, respondaet superior liability and most likely a few more that I donít know about yet.
        All of this is compensable.
        Sue for cash, why the hell would you not? Sue the supervisor
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
          I disagree with Hateworking that if someone is assaulted, that it necessarily means they deserve some kind of "compensation." I believe that if someone is wronged, the wrongdoer deserves to get punished.

I recently had a brief identity theft case in which someone got 3,000 out of my bank account before it was caught within 20 minutes. My bank restored the money into my account because it was discovered right away that it was fraudulent. But I was not satisfied. I wanted the person who did this to be prosecuted. I filed a police report, and the police officer pretty much said they would not do anything to pursue it. The bank and the police were like "why does it matter, you got your money back?"

If I had the choice to not get the money back in my account but to see the thief stand trial and go to jail, I'd gladly give up the 3 grand!
          The wrongdoer is being punished at the same time your compensated
          Hmmmm...you got your money back and the thief didnt get punished. That is not what Im talking about.
          Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X