This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick pay and holiday pay in California

I work for a company that does not provide sick pay and holiday pay for their hourly employees. Is this legal? Eventhough the company is closed for those holidays.

With one exception, there is no legal requirement that employers offer paid time off, including holiday and sick pay.

The one exception applies to Exempt Salaried employees only and has less to do with the giving of paid time off but rather the restrictions under federal regulation (29 CFR 541.602) against the docking of the salary except under certain narrowly defined exceptions. Employers never are required to make an employee Exempt, but if the employer chooses to do so, then the employer is required to follow the related rules.

Hourly employees have no such protections under federal or state law.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

If you work in the City of San Francisco, your employer must provide sick leave.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/olse_index.asp?id=49389

Comment

Still not sure about the expmt portion

I am on salary, if i call in sick one or two days in a week. should i still be paid my full salary for that week?

Comment

Originally posted by datsdbomb View Post
          I am on salary, if i call in sick one or two days in a week. should i still be paid my full salary for that week?
          Your original question was about hourly employees. You are fishing for what? Answers for a school project?
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

just getting the truth.

just want to educate myself as well as others. please advice

Comment

Originally posted by datsdbomb View Post
              just want to educate myself as well as others. please advice
              Then start with 29 CFR and educate yourself on Federal laws. You can also visit www.dol.gov.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
              X