This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, Do i have to pay? Michigan

A couple months ago I was a victim of a quick-change person at my place of work. I lost fifty dollars out of the till. A police report was made but nothing really could be done. I am going back toschool and have to quit working there, and my employer is telling me that I have to pay back the money that was lost. I have spoken to a few people and they say that the only 2 things my employer can do is either Fire me or write me up, but I cannot be made to pay the money back.

I've looked on the michigan.gov website but I'm having trouble finding an answer. Please HELP!

Have you already been paid for all your time worked?

If so, the only way the company can get what it thinks you owe is to take you to small claims. For $50, it is not worth their time and effort. The filing fee here is $50 and add another $50 for the process server. It is not a given that the plaintiff will get those costs back if successful.

If you have not been paid for all time worked, the company might deduct the amount from your pay.

If you go below minimum wage as a result, the employer would violate federal laws.

Some states don't allow such deductions at all.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I have about two more weeks to work. This week and next week. So I haven't gotten paid for all my work.

I make minimum wage, $7.15/hour, so if they tried to deduct it would that be lower than minimum wage?

Comment

Originally posted by im2_cute55 View Post
        I have about two more weeks to work. This week and next week. So I haven't gotten paid for all my work.

I make minimum wage, $7.15/hour, so if they tried to deduct it would that be lower than minimum wage?
        Federal minimum wage is lower than that, so it is possible for them to deduct enough to keep you at federal minimum and get some or all of what they feel you owe.

I have no idea how Michigan laws work on deductions. If they are similar to federal, you cannot be charged a dime out of your wages since you are at the state minimum.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help... I truely appreciate it.

Comment

I agree with ScottB. I don't see how they can take a deduction from your wages if it would take you below your state's min. wage & usually they can't take any deduction that would cut into your overtime pay (if any). Plus, in Mi. except for overpayment of wages or benefits, deductions for the benefit of the employer require written consent from an employee for each wage payment subject to the ded.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yep, Betty has the applicable answer here, at least in regards to deducting from your paycheck, which they cannot do withhold your written authorization.
              http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7...1944--,00.html
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X