This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work/bullying and harrasement by managers Florida

Basically my manangers at work all day just call me retarded throw stuff at me and call me names all day long and i just take it and maybe it would stop. But now its been many months and it still keeps going on and i cant take it anymore. Is there nething i could do many to take some legal action or etc etc i cant take this stress nemore im about to go crazy

While I do not agree with the kind of treatment you say you are receiving, it is not illegal to call names. It is not something for which you can take legal action.

You are free to look for more humane employment at any time.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

if they throw something where is causes injury you can get the police involved, but like the first response, there is nothng illegal about being morons.
      Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Comment

How about looking for a new job? There's nothing (and I do mean NOTHING) compelling you to stay working for these people.

Comment

I agree with the other responders. Especially with the GET ANOTHER JOB, and do this before you end up injured by flying objects. Hateworking is making a very good point. Has the items they "throw at you" ever hit you? IF so that is considered assault and is illegal from a criminal level. If you are hit with these thrown objects call the cops and file a complaint of assault.

Comment

Much as I like Joe's idea in theory, I feel compelled to point out that taking it could result in...shall we say, interesting results....should you ever have a prospective employer call them for a reference.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
              Much as I like Joe's idea in theory, I feel compelled to point out that taking it could result in...shall we say, interesting results....should you ever have a prospective employer call them for a reference.

I have an addition to Joe's idea (in theory, of course). Next time, stand in front of the thing-being-thrown. Let it hit you (in a safe place). THEN file the police report. Is that "assault" or "battery"?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I was being facetious.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Mention this to your HR and see what happen next, if nothing then tell him ‘shut the f*k up’, or contact your local EEOC and ask for advise.

Comment

What characteristic related to EEOC involvement are you seeing in the post, Droopy?

Comment

From the OP, I would consider this to be harassment, but since not all facts are known, I would encourage contacting EEOC for advice if there any legal action maybe taken.

Comment

Most people don't use the word "retarded" as a synonym for mentally impaired. Most just use it as a slam because their vocabulary is so limited. And they're just rude.

Comment

I actually have to side with Joe here. And you'd be shocked at how many people use the word "retarded" and "retard' to describe developmentally disabled people (and I work with a bunch of social workers!) and others who just make mistakes. I also think that since case law seems to be working toward stretching the application of "regarded as disabled", it might be worth at least running it by EEOC or an attorney.

Do we even know if the op has a dev. disability, a brain injury, or even just a learning disability? If this were my company, I'd advise my colleagues not to mess around with this, and reprimand the supervisors using that language.

If the op has any related diagnosed disorder, I wouldn't want mycompany to be the guinea pig to try this out in court. Op, you should at least complain to HR as a start.

Comment

Question regarding "good cause"

I have read that it is possible to collect unemployment benefits for quiting a job for "good cause".
                            Would this situation of being a moving target qualify?
                            "good cause" seems like an extremely grey area to me.
                            Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X