Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an employer change your hourly pay without notification or consent? Massachusetts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer change your hourly pay without notification or consent? Massachusetts

I signed up to work more hours. When I got my paycheck I found I was making 3 dollars less per hour. I never got a letter of offer from this company. Can an employer do this?

Absent a contract or collective bargining agreement, employers can generally legally change compensation agreements on a go-forward basis without the consent of the employee. Retroactive changes are illegal in most states. I have no idea what MA rules are on this, but there is a chance that you have a valid wage claim for the retroactive wages only. Someone who knows more then I about MA will probably weigh in.

Assuming you are Non-Exempt since you are paid hourly, the employer must pay at least minimum wage.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

My understanding is that notification is required, but there is no mandated time frame of notice. Consent is not required.

The poster would have a claim for the retroactive difference, but not for any wages going forward since s/he has now been notified of the change.

Phil can correct me if I'm wrong.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X