This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired for 40hr work week. Massachusetts

I was recently hired at a non-profit hospital in Massachusetts for 40hrs per week/80hrs biweekly. However, due to low patient quota, our department manager "forced" one of the 3 technicians to leave work without pay or use some vacation pay.
    I was told by a few different people if the employer "asks" if you want to leave early and the employee says yes then they do not have to compensate the hours not worked.
    And if the employer demands that the employee goes home due to a lack of supplied work, the employer still has to compensate for the un-worked scheduled hours.

Is this correct?

If they are a non-exempt employee, they do not have to be paid for hours not worked.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

MA is one of the very few states that has a "reporting pay" law.

If the employee is sent home early, they are due pay for the length of time they worked, or three hours, whichever is longer. This remains true regardless of whether the employee is asked if they would like to go home early or not. The law does not make a distinction between voluntary and involuntary leaving early.

There are additional rules in MA for employees who are on call to attend to emergencies or who are provided with sleeping quarters on site. Let me know if you need those, as well.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks, cbg - I didn't know that. (now I do)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X