X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas Salary Employee Arkansas

Hello,
    I have a family member who is a salaried employee. His company is... amoung various other unethical practices... having him work many, many shifts in a row. Currently he has been on the job for over 24 hours with no sleep and can not leave the premises for food. He will come home after this current shift(s) and sleep for 6 hours to then go BACK and do another 16 hour shift. This happens all the time!! His company is a security company and not based in Arkansas. What are the laws concerning this kind of slave labor?
    Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by JitterbugDreaming; 07-24-2007, 11:20 AM. Reason: misspellings

With very few legal exceptions such as airline pilots, almost any employer can legally required almost any employee to work 24/7. There are a few states with weak laws in this area, but non of the states are Arkansas. A good argument can be made that there should be such laws, but no argument (good or bad) by itself will cause such laws to come into being.

It is very colorful to refer to this as "slave labor", but this description is not legally correct. Any employee can always just move to a different job with a different employer, something not possible under actual conditions of slavery. Changing employers is often the best available solultion to a bad employer.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you JoeC for your super fast reply and your help but as I am a bit unfamiliar with legal chat, would you be able to explain it to me a bit?
      Thanks for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
        With very few legal exceptions such as airline pilots, almost any employer can legally required almost any employee to work 24/7. There are a few states with weak laws in this area, but non of the states are Arkansas. A good argument can be made that there should be such laws, but no argument (good or bad) by itself will cause such laws to come into being.

It is very colorful to refer to this as "slave labor", but this description is not legally correct. Any employee can always just move to a different job with a different employer, something not possible under actual conditions of slavery. Changing employers is often the best available solultion to a bad employer.
        Thank you Daw, it certainly is a sad state of affairs!!

Comment

"It is very colorful to refer to this as "slave labor", but this description is not legally correct. Any employee can always just move to a different job with a different employer, something not possible under actual conditions of slavery. Changing employers is often the best available solultion to a bad employer."

You are right I know, but it just is so frustrating, especially as my family member has such a sense of duty......

Comment

The employees could all get together and go to the management and explain what the problem is but the employer does not have to do as the employees want though they can not fire employees for banding together for this purpose. They could also try to bring in a union but that is not necessarily the easiest route.

Your relative's best bet is to seek employment elsewhere. It isn't illegal to require these kinds of hours.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you for your help ElleMD.
              What a nice site this is.

Comment

Joec's response needs some explaining. He's telling you that one path is to join a union where hours, wages and working conditions are negotiated and both the union and employer are required to operate within the contract.

This is Joec's normal answer to all problems. You have a hangnail...join a union, car has a flat...join a union.

In this case however (assuming all is as you've described) he may be right. There are some employers that do not treat people properly and the employees truly need a union.

Another path is to simply deal with it until he can find another job. A bad place to work is still bad...even with a contract.

Comment

Not acceptable, Joe. There are other ways of disagreeing than calling people stupid.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                  X