This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting my job...

ok, i want to quit my job. i work at a gas station. i just turned 18 and have been getting interviews left and right. i know this doesnt have anything to do with the laws, but i just need some advice. i want to leave my job ASAP cuz i get treated like garbage there. so, what are the pros and cons of not giving a 2 week notice if i already have another job lined up? will that ruin my record (i have never been fired, only been late twice in the year and a half working there) or will it not really matter much down the line?
    thanks a lot,
    Anthony Hinkle

Your current employer is free to tell any prospective employer who calls in future that you left without notice. What that will mean to any given employer depends on the employer.

Other that that, it's entirely between you and the employer.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Honestly, as a hiring manager, I wouldn't think more poorly of you because you didn't give two weeks notice. However, I'd be cutting you some slack because 1) you're young, and 2) working in a gas station is a crappy job. Now, if this were someone in a professional position who was in their 30's I might at least ask in an interview about it. OTOH, I've done it once myself.

It's really a matter of what type of job you're interviewing for and how badly they need employees.

Did you give ANY notice?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

so... what do you think i should do? i mean, my dad is totally against it, but i cant handle my job for another day. it is horrible there! dont prospective employers usually contact the last employer you had? cuz, if i have a new job already lined up, and i get it, i was planning on just quitting and starting the new job immediately.

Comment

If you can suck it up, I'd at least give a week.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

i... havent quit yet, but my boss has taken me off the schedule "threatening" to fire me before, but for stuff i didnt do, and i was able to prove it. i just wanted a proffesional opinion before i did quit.

Comment

Anthony, I like it when employees give notice, but they cannot always do that since the job they want insists they start immediately.

Additionally, some employers will refuse the notice and walk you off the premises. If your job does not start for two weeks, you might be able to get unemployment. You might not.

In my business, there is no one I would fire upon getting notice from them. That does not apply to all companies and there are good business reasons for terminating an employee who is leaving in the future.

Your job does not fall in to that category. You are no threat to the business, unless they think you might do something bad in your final two weeks.

Give notice. The employer will not be able to truthfully say you did not nor will it be able to say you were fired. That is a positive for you in the future.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

yeah... and as for the walking off the premises, i have seen my manager tell people that they finish off the last week and leave...

Comment

so... i actually JUST got a new job. i start training tomorrow. so, how is the best way to quit? (most messages at my work from employee to management and vice-versa is done by notes.) should i just write "I, (name) hereby resign my position as pump attendant on this date...."?

Comment

Looks like a good resignation to me.....

Comment

I'd remove your name from the post but yeah, a letter that states as of M/D/Y you are resigning your position in order to accept another opportunity works. Short, sweet and to the point.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

alright, thanks a lot! i really appreciate it. im new to this whole "quitting" thing. thanks again. you guys are awesome!

Comment

If you haven't already done so, you might also state "I will be in to pick up my final paycheck on payday."

Comment

Working...
                          X