This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing on April 9th with UIA Michigan

When I got home after work today, my wife told me that I had received a letter from the UIA. I could not imagine what it had been because, I have been sending in my payments auto-draft for the last several years without fail. Moreover, I noticed that the envelop from them was especially large. However, when I opened it and read the first few lines. "Appeal Request...Hearing Date... I was elated. Even though there is no promise that I would receive any leniency at this hearing, it is just the thought that after 15 years I may have a chance to reduce our largest debt. My hearing date with the Administrative Hearing Judge at the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency is on April 9 regarding an overpayment in 1992 for $5,900. (In addition, a penalty of four times the actual amount) totaling $23,600.00. Currently this is our largest debt. If we can have, it reduced even a little it would be a tremendous gift.

The story of how this all happened is both embarrassing and humiliating. In late 1991 I was laid off as a downsizing/reorganization, I was told that is was temporary and that I would be called back soon but it lasted almost a year. At that time we had a house full of children and only one income. At one point I remember selling blood plasma just to by baby formula. After the initial three month period expired I was automatically enrolled into the federally funded extension program (30 more days). During this time, I started creating my own jobs by doing lawn service, handyman work, anything I could do to earn money. And that is were my troubles began. It was at that time that a friend of ours, who was a independent carpenter told me that whenever you earn anything more than $500 in business, you need to claim it on your 1040. Even though I wasn't officially in business per say I estimated that I'd made roughly around $6000. doing these odds-and-ends things. So, when tax time came around I included that I'd earned an additional $6,000.00 during the year and that I'd been laid off. That triggered the UIA system to investigate me for benefit fraud and in March of 2006 I received a letter telling me that I was being penalized for an "unjustified overpayment".

I'm not claiming that I'm innocent of the $5900 but, I'm hoping that on April 9th the penalty of (four times the overpayment amount) could be reduced somewhat.
    JW

Need To Be Debt Free

Do you have a question?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Elle, I think the question must be what does he need to do to avoid paying nearly 24 grand.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Yes, my question is what can I do to at least encourage the hearing officer to reduce the payments
        JW

Need To Be Debt Free

Comment

Bring a financial statement?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            Bring a financial statement?

Pay stub, etc?
            JW

Need To Be Debt Free

Comment

That, too. A list of your income and expenses on a monthly basis.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

That, too. A list of your income and expenses on a monthly basis.
                Would it help to bring any other documents?
                JW

Need To Be Debt Free

Comment

Anything that backs up your Income/Expenses wouldn't hurt. Mortgage statement, utility bills, etc. Remember, what you're really doing is like asking for a loan. Better to have too much backup than not enough.

Comment

Anything that backs up your Income/Expenses wouldn't hurt. Mortgage statement, utility bills, etc. Remember, what you're really doing is like asking for a loan. Better to have too much backup than not enough.
                    Thank you very much for all of the assistance!! I post the results right here after the hearing.
                    JW

Need To Be Debt Free

Comment

Working...
                    X