This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For joec Federal

Sorry, but I could not quickly locate the thread that brought this to mind.

Your comment that employees usually take paid time off, if available, rather than bank the PTO for later use, is not supported by the following, from SHRM's HR bb.

I, too, would have thought folks would want to be paid NOW rather than waiting, but the experience of some companies runs contrary to that, hence policies requiring use of PTO for absences.

Posted 3/19/2007 2:06:49 PM An interesting topic came up at work that I don't think anyone has ever asked before. This employee (non-exempt) would like to have a "choice" of whether or not she uses her vacation time when she misses work - either a few hours or a whole day or even days at a time. Do you allow your hourly employees to to choose to NOT be paid for time off so they can save their paid time out for a different day?

Posted 3/19/2007 2:13:45 PM No, it is written in our policy that paid time off must be exhausted before unpaid time will kick in.

Posted 3/19/2007 2:19:49 PM We require that employees use all paid time off before taking any unpaid time. Especially because we are in MA and any accrued, but unused vacation time must be paid out at termination.

Posted 3/19/2007 2:22:30 PM Our policy states that employees must use time that they have on the books before taking time unpaid.

Posted 3/19/2007 2:25:25 PM No, we do not allow it. Written into our policy that you must use all available paid time off before we will consider your request for unpaid.

Posted 3/19/2007 2:28:19 PM We had an ee who used to do this - she would take a 2 week vacation but only want to be paid for 1 week. She would do this at least 3 times a year. This meant she was taking at least 6 weeks of vacation every year. We changed our policy so that they had to use all their paid leave time first. For some reason - when it was done that way - she couldn't afford to take off the time.
    Last edited by ScottB; 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Scott, where ever you cut and pasted this from, I need you to include attribution; at least which board it came from.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Sorry, cbg. I will amend the original post and delete names, too.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thanks.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X