This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going home sick Ohio

On several occasions employees have gone to the supervisor and told him they were sick and needed to go. The supervisor refused to let them go. Is this legal to refuse to let them leave?

It's not necessarily a good idea, but there is nothing illegal about it.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, it is legal.

If they are contagious, it is a really stupid idea.

If their productivity suffers, it is a really stupid idea.

Let them go home and charge available PTO for the absence.

I understand that some employees need to be replaced -- we have that happen often -- deal with it.

We have great employees who don't often do this. We replace them on the job, no matter what it costs us.

We have had bad employees who do this often and we term them.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by joy4chris View Post
        On several occasions employees have gone to the supervisor and told him they were sick and needed to go. The supervisor refused to let them go. Is this legal to refuse to let them leave?
        I assume the supervisor isn't barring the door or chaining them to their work stations? What I expect the employees are really asking is whether they can leave work and not have any repercussions attendance-wise.

Yes, it's legal not to grant permission to leave but if an employee is truly too ill to be at work, I expect they wouldn't be asking if it's OK to leave but rather telling the supervsior they HAVE to leave.

Comment

Working...
        X