This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unequal treatment because of age? Florida

My husband is not being treated equally. So many instances. The latest was today. Another employee called out of work today because his sister was having a baby. My husband had a doctors appointment that he went to today at 10:30am and then to work afterwards. He actually only missed about an hour of work for his appointment. His supervisor told him that if he had called out sick today he would have been fired! All other employees miss work for all kinds of reasons. He is being singled out and I can only assume it is because of his age. He is to oldest employee of them all. He works for a delivery company and all the other employees are allowed to take their trucks home at night and he is not. He's the only one that is not allowed to do this. All the other employees have uniforms and he does not. He has been working for this company long enough (about 2 years) that if they had ordered him his work clothes, he would have them by now. He is definitely being singled out. Is there anything that can be done about this?

How old is your husband and what evidence do you have that his age is a factor?

You haven't provided us with enough info to say if he has any recourse or not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Age Discrimination

Can only begin after the individual is over Fourty.
      What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
      what is heard is not always what is spoken!
      ~M. Noitall~

Comment

Did your Husband?

Did your husband inform his employer about the doctors apointment in advance?
        What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
        what is heard is not always what is spoken!
        ~M. Noitall~

Comment

My husband is 58 years old and yes he informed his supervisor in advance. I don't know if there has ever been any comments made by the supervisor about his age. I just don't know what the motive is for him not being treated equally.
          Last edited by jeaninflorida; 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

There's simply not enough information here for us to say if there's age discrimination occurring but if he believes that there is, he can contact the EEOC.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Is there any explanation for why he isn't allowed to take the truck home nor was he given a uniform? Does he perform the same work as these other employees? Has he missed more time off than they have?
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
              X