This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Company Never Paid Me

I was hired by a company a month ago. I was told I missed the recent pay period so if I worked the following week then I would be paid in 2 weeks. On my second day of work I completed my paperwork (for a 1099 form) since this was a seasonal position. At the end of the day my manager said "he would call me the following week to give me my work schedule." I still never heard anything or recieved my paycheck. I feel that I should be paid for my 2 days of work. Who do I contact for help in the state of Georgia?

You definitely should be paid for the days you worked; however, GA has very weak wage and hour laws. There are a couple of different ways you can go.

What was the last day you actually worked? It might make a difference which would be the better direction to go.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I worked on 2/15/07 (9:30am-3:30pm without a lunch break) and 2/23/07 (9:30am-4:45pm without a lunch break).

Comment

It's legal to ask you to work without a lunch break in GA.

You can go either way. I don't know that it will make much difference either way but if someone else who knows the GA system better has an opinion, I'll defer to it.

One solution is to go to the GA DOL. They MIGHT refer you to the US DOL. If they do, go with solution #2 because the US DOL will only help you obtain hours worked times minimum wage.

Solution #2 is to file a claim in small claims court for the amount due.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And not to disagree with what cbg has said, but a different issue.

First, the worker does not complete a 1099 form. Did you mean a W-9 form? A 1099-MISC is what the company provides to report nonemployee compensation to an individual or corporation. The fact that this was "seasonal" work does not automatically qualify you as an independent contract (which is what a 1099 form indicates). What did you do for this company?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X